Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving across country!?

:?: Hey everyone!

I'm taking a trip to California late February or early march to visit a friend. The thing is, If I like it, I will seriously consider staying there! (getting tired of Pittsburgh)

when I get back and if I decide to go, I want to drive there in my '88 L+, 168,000 miles, 4-speed manual.

I will be taking care of things that need done soon, like the timing belt, new clutch, etc... but can you guys think of any good ideas or tips that may help me in a Pittsburgh to California drive? OR should I just fly there and buy a used festiva' there?
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Bring along spare drivebelts, a timing belt, extra coolant and oil, a full size spare tire (will fit in the space for the small spare), a screwdriver, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 21 mm wrenches, and some good CDs.

I think that covers the basic Festiva repair kit, if I left anything please add to the list.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Yep, sounds like Tims got that one covered! That's a long trip so you really cant take too much spare stuff. Have Fun though!
      What part of Cali are you going, I lived in Irvine and I loved it. Anywhere in there you will love but if you start getting to far north or south you start hating life!

Mike
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2162509
      First known g25mr with Hydraulic clutch swap

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
        Bring along spare drivebelts, a timing belt, extra coolant and oil, a full size spare tire (will fit in the space for the small spare), a screwdriver, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 21 mm wrenches, and some good CDs.

I think that covers the basic Festiva repair kit, if I left anything please add to the list.

Regards,

Tim
        i seem to remember a lot of 13mm bolts in my aspire... might not hurt to have one of those too

Comment

With a 4-speed you'd better have a good stereo, ear plugs and make sure you exhaust is in good shape. As long as you performed the regular pm's as needed you won't need any wrenches or spare parts, just extra weight.. unless you see a hot chick that needs assistance..per say.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

If I was driving cross country all I would do is an oil change before leaving and check the coolant level and tire pressure. Don't worry, Festivas go forever.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Better safe than sorry. The whole repair kit, aside from the fluids, could fit in your glovebox.

If you don't pack anything and the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, you'll be kicking yourself.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Nah you'll be to tired after walking to kick yourself...
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

You'll have a whole phase done just on the trip there!
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

may want to bring one or two sets of rear wheel bearings with seals and some grease, just in case.

Comment

I would also run some "SeaFoam" in the tank during the trip......I always do this to my cars when I take a long trip. It's just a good time to clean out the combustion and exhaust areas, along with giving a bit of top end lubrication and cleaning out the fuel system.

I'm looking forward to a cross country drive in my TR3 after it's restored. Something about the "adventure" of a cross country trip.

Have fun........ Biggest mistake in my life was moving away from San Diego What was I thinking? :evil:

Don

Comment

where am I going in California?

Just to let everyone know, the place I'll be visiting is Moreno Valley, about half-way between LA and Palm Springs. According to my friend there, she says it's a nice place.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I never thought about rear bearings! Mine have gone before.
                        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                        Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                        X