ATF is awesome...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF is awesome...

Well I am sure some of you have read my post in the For Sale section about a person who pretty much was joy riding in my car when he was test driving it. He thrashed the car and upon return to my house with it it was smoking. This was a 97 Ford Aspire with 62k miles on the clock. I have since discovered that the smoke probably wasnt caused completely by the guy that rode it hard and put it away wet. There has been a definate lack of maintenance done on this car by the previous owner. Oil was black and I had just put it in maybe 100 miles before this happened. On to what I have done to cure the issue.

My process for clearing up the smoke is as such....
    First I pulled all 4 plugs and noticed number 1 was getting some oil in the cylinder. How it was getting there was a mystery but I was suspecting a possible stuck Ring, bad valve seal, blown headgasket. I cleaned the plugs and set them aside and decided I was gonna soak the piston in some Automatic Trans Fluid. Topped it off let it sit. Came out the next day and noticed there was none left in the cylinder. Topped it off again and let it sit. Came out couple hours later and noticed there was none left again. Topped it off a third time let it sit. Did this probably a total of 4 or 5 times dont really remember was drunk some of the time lol.

Next what I did was let all the ATF drain back into the pan. Checked the oil level and it was at full not above or below. Sweetness. Put the plugs back in it and cranked her up. Off around the block I went. Drove maybe a total of 20 miles and came back to the house and left it running. I than proceeded to spray about a quart of water through the brake booster vacuum line while i held the throttle to keep the car running. She bogged down a little after squirting quite a bit of water in there. So I backed off and let it come back up to rpm a little better and started drowning it again. The steam that is produced by the water helps by eating away at the carbon in the combustion chamber. I did this until I got the whole quart down and went off around the block for another 10 miles. The smoke cleared up tremendously at this point and was almost non existant until I came to a stop and accelerated from the stop.

I came back home and parked it until I could get to the store and get fresh oil and filter. While it was parked I pulled the plug on that cylinder back out and hey what do you know still pretty clean with a little bit of carbon on it. It was dry though which is a good thing. Noticed a nice black soot deposit in the driveway where the exhaust had puked carbon all over the place. Looks like something is working here yay.

Finally make it to the store to get the oil and filters. Drained the oil which was blacker than any oil I had seen at this point and decided maybe I should put some ATF directly in the crank case this time. So in a quart went and in the 10w30 went to balance out the viscosity since ATF doesnt have very good lubrication properties. Put my new filter on and off on a trip I went.

Smoke was noticeable on start up and initial acceleration but after that seemed non existant. Get to the gas station and top her off. Off I go. I decided to jump on the highway since the car had never seen it since I bought it. Get on the highway and gun it. She smokes a bit but takes off and up to 75. I drove for about 5 miles and decided to turn around and go back home. I stay on the highway and gun it little less smoke than before and up to 75 again. Slow down to about 40 and gun it again. It downshifts and hey no smoke this time. I repeat this a couple more times and drive it home. On my way home when I had to stop there was no smoke at all when I accelerated.

Today I start the car up on my way to work. Little smoke not too bad. Little more on initial acceleration out of my drive way. From there on out there was no more smoke to be seen. It is deffinatelly improving so that is a good thing.

My final word is that ATF seems to be working good at breaking up deposits in the crank case and oiling system as well as soaking the combustion chamber. The water did a lot to get rid of the carbon as well. This has been a lot cheaper than buying a 9 dollar can of seafoam. I have noticed a slight performance gain as well as the smoke starting to go away. It pulls a lot nicer than it did before and feels like an automatic 1.3 should feel now. I plan to change the oil and filter again when the stuff that is in it turns black. I will be adding another quart of ATF to the mix to help flush it again. Depending on how long that oil lasts it might be the last time I add the ATF to the mix. If it doesnt last long enough it will get another shot of ATF.

Figured I would post my results of doing this up here as it might help the rest of you free up some carbon and sludge deposits and help restore the performance your mighty 1.3 used to have. Thank you all and happy Festiva-ing, Jeremiah.
    Last edited by Roboskittle; 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Great story!! Glad to hear that the ATF worked out for ya!!

Comment

Hmmm...May have to try that.

Comment

I would drain it and not use ATF anymore. The ATF thins your oil and is washing some junk away but there are better additives for this purpose, marvel mystery oil MMO works better, and can also be used in small doses in the fuel. Check out bitog forums. You probably had a lot of junk in your rings but still have a valve guide worn or something not sealing up top. Very unfortunate to have this occur under 120k miles on a aspire/festiva, since a well maintained engine lasts so long owners pull them out because the car is slow and boring! Sig says it all!

I'd change the PCV in case yours isn't working, that leads to sludge. I'd run 1/2 quart of MMO with the rest oil some rotella 10w-30 diesel oil. It's got more additives than passenger oil. It makes my camry's oil get dark much quicker than regular pennzoil or QS I normally put in it.
        Last edited by getnpsi; 06-01-2010, 11:22 AM.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I am fully aware of its thinning properties to oil and am not concerned with that at all. I have read a lot that MMO does nothing maybe minimal results at best. I am not really concerned with hurting this car any further than it is already harmed and is why I am trying the ATF. I have read a lot of great things about ATF in the crank case. Most people stated to use 2 quarts and I found that to be too much for out little cars. The PCV valve is functioning normaly also that was one of the first things I checked. Thank you for the heads up and I appreciate the concerns I am doing this on a low buck approach and this was all stuff I have laying around the shop or got for free at my local recycling place. Minus the oil I bought that lol. Everything I get for free from recycling is still sealed so I know it hasnt been tampered with.

On a side note I am home for lunch and I can honestly report that I saw no smoke at all cruising home. I am on my way back to work and will report any change that I see. The oil is also staying cleaner and I have 40 miles on it. I know it takes a lot longer than that to see any kind of change in the oil but the first oil change I did was black within 100 miles and that was just straight oil.
          Last edited by Roboskittle; 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

ok so let me get this right, you pour ATF in the spark plug hole? how do you get it out and how long do you let it soak? and tell me more about this water/steam trick, i want to try that on my festy, but i dont know what you mean by brake booster vacuum line.. if you can produce pictures and more details, i want to see how this will help my carby festy

Comment

Water injection: (AT YOUR OWN RISK WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR ENGINE)

Ok there is a big vacuum line that runs to your brake booster which is mounted on the drivers side firewall. What I had to do was start the car and let it get to operating temerature. I than pulled that vacuum line off and kept my thumb over the hole or the engine would die. I than took a squirt bottle (quart size) and filled it with filtered water (should use distilled water for this). I set the squirt bottle to mist and kept the throttle open enough to keep the engine running while my thumb was off of that vacuum line. I than used my free hand to squirt water into the vacuum line. Do not over do it as you can hydrolock the engine as the engine cannot compress liquids very good. I just pumped away for what seemed like an eternity and would some times take a break slip my thumb back over the hole and let the car idle so it could have a break from revving so long. There are videos on youtube for the procedure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt7IY0keOD0 That is the video that I watched.

ATF in spark plug hole: (same disclaimer as above)

Pull the plugs, pour in as much ATF as you can get in. Let it sit. If it doesnt run down into the crank case (which it should eventually) than to get it out crank the car over by hand. Or if you want to make a mess just bump the ignition to crank it over a few times. Remember to leave the spark plugs out until you are sure that all the ATF is out of the cylinder or again you could have bad things going on. I used the oil dipstick to check to see if any fluid was left in the cylinder. Once you are sure all fluid is out of the cylinder return the spark plug and check the oil level to be sure it isnt over filled. Once you have returned the oil level to proper levels. Drive away. You will get smoke at first from the ATF burning off but it will clear off over time.

I would recommend doing these procedures right before an oil change. Transmission fluid in the oil does help clean but it also lowers your viscosity and could damage your engine. Water in the oil is no good either.
              Last edited by Roboskittle; 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Well I have good news to report. All smoke is gone as well as the burnt oil smell in the cabin while accelerating. There was also no smoke upon start up this morning or initial acceleration out of my driveway. Looks like I got lucky on this one. I have also noticed a very distinct change in what things are looking like under my oil cap. There was a lot of sludge deposits on the little shelf inside the oil cap before I started adding ATF to the oil. It is all gone now and I can only imagine what the head looked like with the valve cover off. I am also showing no signs of oil loss on the dipstick anymore.

I would highly recommend these procedures on anyones car that is giving them hesitation and lightly smoking. Remember do this at your own risk. Thanks guys and keep on Festiva-ing.
                Last edited by Roboskittle; 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

lol how about hesitation and lots of smoking? well im going to give it a shot any way. im due for an oil change.
                  Last edited by MTec007; 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Lots of smoking is fine too. Mine was actually smoking like a chimney when I first started the procedures and that was just at idle lol. I say go for it. There is also another thing you can try and that is to used the transmission fluid in place of the water. I wouldnt use a squirt bottle (it is possible, but not necessary) just suck up the trans fluid through a smaller vacuum line. Good luck to you sir and please post back any results you have good or bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X