white faced gauges are boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perucho View Post
    I hope you understand that putting 140 instead of 85 doesn't make you go any faster. You need to change the gearing.
    Exactly - you will need to swap the speedo unit out of the protege cluster to make that faceplate work - otherwise your speed will be inacurate
    Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
    We had templates for clusters posted up before... I think DJ made them, although there was always the problem of how you would backlight the thing on the white text clusters...

If I looked through the archives of the FF.com files that I have, I could probably locate it.
    I have the two that you posted saved from when he put them up - the issue with the tach clusters is you need to have some sort of diffuser to help with the original number bleed through - I've looked into this and there are two options from the way I see it - polish off the original printing off the acrilic or cast new acrylic with out printing and install the transparency print on top and glue it in place.

the back lighting is really the limiting factor - the non-tach is front lit so theres no issue but because the tach cluster is back lit you will run into bleed through issues - I know DJ had been working on diffusers as well but even with 5 difusers you could faintly see the numbers and the light became dim when I tested it.
    Last edited by Festiva_tunner; 06-09-2010, 06:19 AM.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
    92 GL - parts car
    97 aspire - parts car
    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
      We had templates for clusters posted up before... I think DJ made them, although there was always the problem of how you would backlight the thing on the white text clusters...

If I looked through the archives of the FF.com files that I have, I could probably locate it.

almost thought i saw you in camphill pa. yesterday..

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
        Exactly - you will need to swap the speedo unit out of the protege cluster to make that faceplate work - otherwise your speed will be inacurate

I have the two that you posted saved from when he put them up - the issue with the tach clusters is you need to have some sort of diffuser to help with the original number bleed through - I've looked into this and there are two options from the way I see it - polish off the original printing off the acrilic or cast new acrylic with out printing and install the transparency print on top and glue it in place.

the back lighting is really the limiting factor - the non-tach is front lit so theres no issue but because the tach cluster is back lit you will run into bleed through issues - I know DJ had been working on diffusers as well but even with 5 difusers you could faintly see the numbers and the light became dim when I tested it.

This is easy... Orange tach clusters are front lit. White tach clusters can have the backlights removed, and remove the shade from the front illumination visor.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
          maybe not but it does mean you can push the rpms a little more and it will actually show on the gauge.
          No! If you just change the numbers, when the speedo needle shows 140, you are still only going 85. Come on, you have to change the speedo gear...
          Oscar

Comment

I know you have to change the mechanism too.
            Otherwise I could just look at the kilometer scale and pretend THATS MPH
            I was just admiring the fact that you can put a speedo in these cars that goes over 85...
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
              No! If you just change the numbers, when the speedo needle shows 140, you are still only going 85. Come on, you have to change the speedo gear...
              i thought they mean change the tranny gearing. why change the speedo gearing? doesnt the whole cluster fit?

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                i thought they mean change the tranny gearing. why change the speedo gearing? doesnt the whole cluster fit?
                the protege cluster does not fit - its too narrow and too long plus its rounded not square - your thinking of 323/626 clusters that can be made to fit by modifiying the trim panels and/or dash

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                This is easy... Orange tach clusters are front lit. White tach clusters can have the backlights removed, and remove the shade from the front illumination visor.
                I didn't say it could't be made to work - but I rather like the back lit function - and if I'm going to make a replacement face I'm going to do it right.
                Besides - anyone can have a european tach cluster with out a custom face on it as well right? lol

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                92 GL - parts car
                97 aspire - parts car
                87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

My contribution. Not sure if anyone else likes this kind of thing, but I wanted something simple and to not use a whole black ink cartridge to print it, so....

FYI images are HUGE format. Scanned at 300dpi for print size calcs.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                    My contribution. Not sure if anyone else likes this kind of thing, but I wanted something simple and to not use a whole black ink cartridge to print it, so....

FYI images are HUGE format. Scanned at 300dpi for print size calcs.
                    I like that alot. I opened it up and now i'm trying to mess with it a little, what program did you use to make it? And when you print it, does it come out the correct size?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
                    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

I used the GIMP to do it, but Photoshop will work just as well. I have the .xcf with layers if anyone wants it.

To get the right size print, you divide the resolution by 300 to get the inch size.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        I used the GIMP to do it, but Photoshop will work just as well. I have the .xcf with layers if anyone wants it.

To get the right size print, you divide the resolution by 300 to get the inch size.
                        Perfect! Thats the program I use. Thanks a million man

Comment

Has anyone done a led swap? How hard would out be? Can you use the normal wires?
                          :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                            Has anyone done a led swap? How hard would out be? Can you use the normal wires?
                            Discuss enhancing your Festiva or Aspire interior and exterior (including custom paint, bodywork, seats, etc)
                            '90 LX

Comment

When my cluster goes back together it will have LED top lighting. Basically you hook up your LED in place of the bulb with a resistor in line so as not to burn out the LED. Also, to widen the angle of normal LEDs that you can get on eBay for cheap, you grind them flat on the ends. I also took the green and black plastic piece and sanded it with 80 grit so it's "clear" but still hazy. This will help spread the light out more(versus using a new clear piece of plastic) and still give me white light instead of green. Like having a frosted glass in there.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

hey sketchman could i get that .xcf file? and how do i divide the resolution in GIMP? I am doing the same LED up top in my dash, Its going to be lime green

Comment

Working...
                                X