Ordered my bp header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered my bp header

Well crap! Ordered a new obx header for my bp last week and boy was I stoked. Three days later I received an email from the seller stating that obx was out of stock on egt headers and would be for the next 8 weeks. I found a pacesetter header for the same price but I have a couple of questions for you guys. What do we know about pacesetter headers? I know that they are just painted steel and the obx's are 304ss. The pacesetter looks like a longtube and the obx a shorty. I know the longtube would require a more difficult install but I intend on going all new anyway except the hiflow cat which I'm told can be stretched from 2" to 2.25". Does anybody know the plusses or minusses of longtubes vs shorties. . Both of these headers sell for $159.00 plus $25.00 shipping on ebay. Which should I get guys?. Which if any would help my (future) camswap the most?

btw they had a header for a protege lx for $50.00 more. Go figure! I hate to be cheap but this swap has already tapped me out.
    1990 Festiva L
    Bp swap, stock tranny

[

The folks at clubprotege say that pacesetter headers are junk. May want to check some of their comments/reviews.
    Oscar

Comment

Casper has a pacesetter on it. It's not too bad. It doesn't have the bottom end torque of my red car that has the stock manifold. And casper has a cam swap like your planning on doing.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Pacesetter is garbage. Havnt heard great things about the OBX either. I say stick with the stocker or boost it lol.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I had pretty much heard the same things about the pacesetter header. I had heard both good and bad about the obx. My brother has had one on his 2008 nissan frontier and he loves it. I do know that a header is claimed to raise hp by 8 to 10. Heck I might just stick with my stock cast iron boat anchor for a while. Greg do you think Casper is slower out of the hole because of better air flow and maybe picks it back up on the upper end? Just a thought.
          1990 Festiva L
          Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

I've had a Pacesetter header before (one on my '79 Fiesta) and was very pleased with the fit & quality. The one on my Fiesta fit like a glove. The flanges were nice & thick, the bends were smooth and the welds were very nice. It's possible that their quality has gone down hill in the last 5 - 6 years, or I just got lucky!

As for the shorty vs. long tubes: The point of headers is to provide individual primary tubes for each port that are of a length ( there is a optimum length for every application) to provide a scavenging effect that aids in cylinder filling. Shorty headers will never provide the performance gain that long tubes will. A good header will increase performance through the entire RPM range, or at least with minimal loss of low end. Most shorty headers will only add 5-10 HP in a limited RPM range. A good long tube design can add 2X to 3X that.

Here is a great article that will explain the basics of header design.

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I pretty much get the same story for all the pacesetter stuff (at least for the MR2s). The old stuff was top notch, the new stuff is kinda crappy.

A lot of my friends are running OBX with good results.
              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

i've found that OBX's welds at the flange tend to crack after use due to thin gauge tube, and poor welds (the welds LOOK good, but wind up taking away metal form the joint instead of adding, also the welds don't penitrate like they should, likely do to thin tubing being blown through durring the weld.)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well I found another ebay seller who had two of them in stock so I ordered it again. Guess what? he sent me an email a couple of days later and seems his inventory was off and he didn't have one either. What is going on? I understand an 18yo engine is not in high demand anymore( except to us that is), but this is blowing my mind. Well at least this seller refunds my money and keeps me on his b/o list and promised my free shipping when he gets more. I will wait for a while and see how long it takes. I understand 1995 egt's came with factory headers. Does anybody know if this is true and if so how is the quality. I guess it would be pretty risky getting a 15yo header.
                  1990 Festiva L
                  Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

ya the 95 came with a factory header... i got one on mine... looks great, all i had to do was paint it and it looked new again

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

That does look good Mike. Your whole engine bay looks clean with wires all neatly tucked.
                      1990 Festiva L
                      Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

thanks im working on making it better all the wires are in the way of all they turbo stuff lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
                        X