1989 Festiva EV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
    I think you would need to get some unobtainium to make that work.
    I crack myself up!

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by Breedlove View Post
      This is what I want to do with mine, Jay Leno has a couple of Festivas' and I think one is electric.
      No, Leno only has one Festiva, the ShoGun. He does have several electric cars, bikes, and scooters.
      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
      Mark S.

Comment

Energy in equals energy out, volts are not equal to energy. Power equals volts times current, and Energy equals power times time. The more energy you take out with the alternators, the more you have to put in at the motor. Here is an example, if you are powering a vehicle with a motor outputting 1000 watts of power, without the alternator hooked up, then hook up a 1000 watt alternator, it will then take 2000 watts to move the car, and you will make back 1000 watts from the alternator. Net loss is still 1000 watts either way. And that is not taking into account inefficiencies in the system.

Comment

Fine. hook fan blades up to an alterator and mount it where the radiator used to be. the air force should spin the fan and turn the alterator.. same concept as wind farms

Comment

Windmills are the same. As the wind turns the blades, drag increases. You now need more energy to move the car at the same speed.

Again, you could deploy a windmill when you are slowing down and that would be like the regen braking. However, the means to do so add complexity and trouble.

You can recover energy from regen braking when slowing down, since you are using friction to do so. However, that will only add a fraction of what you need to fully recharge your batteries. For that, you need to run a power source and generate that electricity.

A somewhat comparable way to describe what you are asking for is this:

Just find a road that goes downhill all the way. As long as you are going downhill, you don't need an engine anyways.

Good luck on finding all downhill roads which go where you want to!

You can't get all downhill roads just like you can't recover all the energy you put out. Friction losses and uphill stretches make that impossible.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

the generator i think would be the best way to eliminate the need to plug it in...as well as placing solar panels on the roof and hood such as: http://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt...nel-66369.html ... along with a small generator http://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-5...art-98839.html that can easily be placed in a sound proof box behind all the batteries and the exhaust ran through the stock festiva muffler out the stock location... you would still; need a voltage regulator of sorts to keep from over charging but the range would be greatly extended...
              I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

that still uses gas, the generator i was refering to was like an alternator

Comment

I know someone that has a (motor, and adapter plate, and flywheel adapter) kit for sale....................
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                    I know someone that has a (motor, and adapter plate, and flywheel adapter) kit for sale....................
                    too bad its "impossible" to do what i want to do.. or i might have been interested. lol

Comment

You could tow a generator in a trailer to charge the batteries. Run the generator on alcohol, biodiesel, CNG, or something else and have a gasoline free car. Or go to lithium batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by genghis1 View Post
                        You could tow a generator in a trailer to charge the batteries. Run the generator on alcohol, biodiesel, CNG, or something else and have a gasoline free car. Or go to lithium batteries.
                        If you are going to do that you might as well make the car run on alcohol or bio diesel and not tow the extra weight around of batteries and a generator.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

true, unless you want the ev for short trips and just use the trailer for longer trips

Comment

Working...
                          X