A good day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good day

Got my red Festy (B6D swap) up and running today!

About SIX MONTHS AGO I decided to clean the cone air filter. In the process of taking off the filter, some wires to the MAF came loose. I tried to hook them back up as best I could see how they went (which was made harder by the PO, who did the swap, using a lot of wires that were the same color). Never could get it to run. Depressing.

So yesterday I was taking a nap, and when I woke up the correct answer came to me:

turn the MAF around.

Yes, I had put it on BACKWARDS, which for some reason will prevent the car from running for more than two seconds. I went out and looked at the MAF in my other Festy (B6rt) and Aspire (stock) to verify that I had indeed done this. Yup.

Stupid Japanese automotive engineers, not designing cars to run when you put parts on backwards. So anyway, now the little sucker runs great! It's gonna be my winter beater.
    Last edited by TominMO; 06-16-2010, 10:09 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I know how you feel , on minigun ( sho engines) the igintion coil and maf use the same plug and are only a couple inches from each other, yes it will fry a coil when you get it wrong !
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Of course, this incident now has the potential to completely alter my view of Reality. Where did the thought to reverse the MAF come from? Did some Angel, inexplicably with automotive skills, happen to wander by and notice the problem? As there are presumably no Festivas in Heaven, why would there even BE an automotive training program for Angels? Perhaps to assist stranded motorists? Is this program staffed by deceased human automotive engineers? Are certificates of completion awarded?

Your comments are solicited.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

:wav:Congrats:wav:

ccasion5:

So I guess you don't need that extra MAF you picked up?
        I suspect we should have had a clue when you unbolted the MAF from the capri in the JY.
        Glad its up and running.
        Still might consider using that ECU from the 5 spd in place of the "rigged" one in the car now.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You should do the RT on the dual cam too!
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

i feel you as well, i had a sunfire gt that i just put a newer engine in, would fire on starter fluid but wouldnt stay running, so i let it be for a couple weeks, one day just out of the blue i remembered i took the fuel pump relay out for the swap and forgot all about it....put it in a bam....
            03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
            92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
            92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              Of course, this incident now has the potential to completely alter my view of Reality. Where did the thought to reverse the MAF come from? Did some Angel, inexplicably with automotive skills, happen to wander by and notice the problem? As there are presumably no Festivas in Heaven, why would there even BE an automotive training program for Angels? Perhaps to assist stranded motorists? Is this program staffed by deceased human automotive engineers? Are certificates of completion awarded?

Your comments are solicited.
              Dare I say, V8Festiva?
              I'm not joking, I'm bein' serious...
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                You should do the RT on the dual cam too!
                Don't think I haven't thought about it! But it's basically a beater body, nothing special, so I prob don't wanna invest the bux in it. I'll probably sell it next year.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  So I guess you don't need that extra MAF you picked up? I suspect we should have had a clue when you unbolted the MAF from the capri in the JY.
                  Glad its up and running.
                  Still might consider using that ECU from the 5 spd in place of the "rigged" one in the car now.
                  Right, pulling the Capri MAFs from the JY was the key. After the "message from heaven", I mentally replayed the image of the process and it got me thinking that that might well the the issue.

I have two Capri MAFs and 5-speed ECUs BTW, IIRC, lol. Will probably stick one of the ECUs in, in place of the auto one.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Don't think I haven't thought about it! But it's basically a beater body, nothing special, so I prob don't wanna invest the bux in it. I'll probably sell it next year.
                    A beater down there is cherry up here ya know.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Glad you got it running Tom. I'm gonna have you build my next car.
                      -Greg
                      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09
                      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                        Glad you got it running Tom. I'm gonna have you build my next car.
                        Great idea, as long as you don't mind it being down for about 1.5 years in the process. And with duct tape being a major build ingredient.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Great idea, as long as you don't mind it being down for about 1.5 years in the process. And with duct tape being a major build ingredient.
                          Crap I forgot about your "love" of duct tape. I'm still pulling pieces of it off of casper. lol
                          Last edited by eurotiva; 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM.
                          -Greg
                          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09
                          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                          X