Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed vs 5 speed mpg

Hey all,

Found an 88 festiva for sale near here with 106k on it and almost no rust. Only issue I have with it is its a 4 spd . I've never owned a 4 spd festy. How do they measure up as far as mpg and performance? They want $1,000 for it so I'd have to talk them down some but if it would get close to the same as a 5 spd for mpg I'm thinking of picking it up.
    Jeremy.S
    1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
    1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
    1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

I am pretty sure the 4spd car final drive is very close if not the same as the 5spd festiva so MPG should be very close if not the same to that of a 5spd car. I would get it if its as clean as you say.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

No, the 4spd car final drive is NOT the same as the 5spd festiva.

Drive ratios for gears 1-4 are identical the 5 spds 5th gear is an overdrive, reducing engine rpm by approx 500 rpm vs the same speed in a 4 spd.
      Thus MPG increase in a 5 spd can be considerable if driven properly.
      Though I would expect that the 4 spd can obtain 40+ MPG, again driving with MPG in mind.
      Exact gear ratios are on this site somewhere.
      I'll see if I can find them.
      Also, certain they are in the Ford and/or Haynes manuals.
      Last edited by Pu241; 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The last time I measured mpg for my 4-speed '88 it was 43 highway, and that was during my cross-country trip last year from CA, with lots of stops to see attractions along the side of the road, and with the car loaded up with my belongings. I think you can easily expect to see 45-50 on the highway - I have gotten as high as 57 mpg highway.
        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
        Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Exact gear ratios are on this site somewhere.
          Here they are, last post. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11540
          '90 LX

Comment

Thanks, wybnrml!

Thanks to Nonamekid for assembling the chart below:

Note I was wrong in regards to the gear ratio of gears 1-4 in the 4spd vs the 5spd.
            In fact they are different!
            Last edited by Pu241; 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Also, you can effectively raise your final drive ratio by switching to taller tires, say on 13" rims. Metro 13" rims are a good cheap upgrade. 155/80x13 is about 4.4% taller than 155/80x12, giving better hwy mileage and tire selection.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I always thought the festy 4 and 5 speeds had the same ratios too. It looks like the festy andaspire 5 speeds are the ones with the same ratios and different finals. Looks like the 4 speeds run a way high rpm at cruise.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I don't have a tach in either of my cars, so this is strictly opinion based on what I hear. My 89 (4 speed manual) definitely does run at a higher rpm in 4th gear at 65 MPH than my 90 (5 speed manual) does in 5th gear at 65 MPH.

So bhazard's statement is correct, the 4 speeds run higher rpms than the 5 speeds at highway speeds.

Having said that, the MPGs for both cars are actually pretty close. The 89 pretty consistantly gets 42-43 mpgs. The 90 pretty consistantly gets around 45. My tests aren't as religious as some (no names here, but you know who you are:p) but basically, I make the same drive to and from work everyday, so I figure the conditions are pretty much the same for both cars.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I remember getting mid to high 40's mpg with my sisters 88 4spd while taking her to college- keeping the hwy speed reasonably low.
                    186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                    1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                    1992 aqua L (agua)
                    1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Umm the real early 4 speeds where that differenet ratio. Mid year 88 they were identical to the 5 speeds minus the overdrive gear.
                      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Ok so like I said the Final Drive ratios are very close. If .08 difference isnt close than I dont know what is.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

I would not let a 4speed vs.5 slow affect the car purchase if it's that good of shape . An auto yes.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Difference in MPG between 4 and 5 speeds depends on driving conditions really, lower speeds lower difference, higher speeds more difference. Of course high speeds = more rpm and aero drag anyway...
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                            X