"Decked" Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Decked" Head

Me and my buddy were talkin about motors one day (he recently turbo'd his 325is and it is pretty quick) and we started talkin about swappin a 1.8 in my festy. He mentioned that you can take your head to a machine shop to "deck" it, not only to get rid of any warp to the head but also to raise the compression by moving the head closer to the block. Have any of you done this? I was thinking that a higher octane fuel would be required, or maybe it would mess up the timing belt due to the shorter distance but I really have no clue and was just wonderin if you guys have heard of this or done it. Thanks!
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

The Search Button is your friend here. Look for postings by Mattdickmeyer.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

The increased compression ratio is actually due to the combustion chamber in the head being made smaller by the milling process. This is an old school hotrodding trick that's been done for decades with great results for an NA motor build.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

I have a feeling you would have better luck leaving the CR alone or even lowering it and just go with some boost.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by ShagFestiva View Post
          He mentioned that you can take your head to a machine shop to "deck" it, not only to get rid of any warp to the head but also to raise the compression by moving the head closer to the block. Have any of you done this? I was thinking that a higher octane fuel would be required, or maybe it would mess up the timing belt due to the shorter distance but I really have no clue and was just wonderin if you guys have heard of this or done it. Thanks!
          Yes, it will raise the compression (slightly). Yes, it will raise the octane requirement (slightly). Polishing the chambers will help. Yes, it will throw the cam timing off (slightly). An adjustable cam pulley can correct this.
          Yes, many people do that on both 4cyl & V8's. Although if you mill too much off in a V8 application you need to also have the intake machined.

Also, it can make the heads prone to warping, it all depends on the head design and how much you take off. A more expensive alternative is to have the block surface decked as well. On a Festiva, I would just have enough taken off the head to true the surface. You never know how many times it's already been done or how much.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Alright awesome thanks blk, thats what I wanted to hear. I gotta do some researching... im not quite ready to tackle a turbo setup...
            Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Working...
            X