Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to pronounce

is it fest-ee-va or fest-ih-va

i do not pronounce it festeeva and everyone corrects me on it.. i just pronounce it with an i not an e... am i wrong??
    ~stig has spoken~

:dj:

I say Festiva as in Festival, but many people I know prefer FestEEva. I'm fine with either, whatever makes people remember that we don't drive Fiestas!
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

spoken
      Oscar

Comment

thanks
        lol
        ~stig has spoken~

Comment

"whatever makes people remember that we don't drive Fiestas!"
          ^thats funny.^
          93L sold. First FESTY!
          91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
          91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
          89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
          93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
          89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
          93GL Sold Too Soon!
          91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

well the main reason i was asking, every time i go into autozone i say i have a festiva, they look at me stupid and say "who makes that" i say ford, clerk: "OH FESTEEVA" me: "no festiva!" seriously happens EVERY time i go there

o'reilly is the same as well, and i dont trust anyone at napa since i had them "rebuild" a head for my b2000 and it came back with the same valves, seals, and a stripped cam bearing bolt.basically it was cleaned for $400 and they would not refund me...next time ill do it myself..
            ~stig has spoken~

Comment

Its "ee " in the commercials.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

As long as they don't call it a "Fiesta".
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

It's fes steve uh. With the accent on the second syllable. I've never heard and confusion on this one.
                  "What do you think of the Ford Festiva?" ad.This was from a Moonlighting episode and is preceded by a "brought to you by Ford" bumper.
                  Last edited by neanderpaul; 07-05-2010, 08:09 AM.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Even the Japanese pronounce it that way.
                    1988[Stereo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0oBnvzLjw&fmt=18
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                      Even the Japanese pronounce it that way.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0oB...eature=related
                      フォード フェスティバ
                      Ford Festiva

This actually comes out to:

Foo-ohhhh Do Fu-eh Su Te-EE Ba.

With almost no exceptions, the Japanese language has every consonant fused to a vowel. There's no actual "Fo" sound, so they slur a "Fu" with an "O" to create the appearance of Ford, when it's really being pronounced Fuooodo, since "D" requires a vowel after it.

For Festiva, what they do is slur the "Fu" sound with an "Eh" not in the Canadian sense, but as in Fest. Following that is Su, since there's no lone "S". There's no "Tee" sound in Japanese, only "Ji" and "Chi". So what they do instead is a slur of "Te" and "EEE". Lastly, the V sound doesn't exist in Japanese. Thus, a B is substituted to create "Ba."

However, the emphasis and linguistic merits of the advertisement do indeed describe a Festevea.
                      Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM.

Comment

OK, but in that ad the Japanese announcer pronounces it fes tee vuh.

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                          OK, but in that ad the Japanese announcer pronounces it fes tee vuh.
                          I realize that... not trying to fluff feathers, I was just commenting on your general inference instead. I was more trying to point out the fact that a single announcer doesn't represent how "the Japanese" actually pronounce it.

To someone who didn't actually know what it was supposed to say (likely a majority of Japan's 125+ million people) that's how it be pronounced. If I walked up to 100 people on the street in Japan, it's likely that the vast majority would break it down the way it's written in Katakana, as described above.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                            I realize that... not trying to fluff feathers, I was just commenting on your general inference instead. I was more trying to point out the fact that a single announcer doesn't represent how "the Japanese" actually pronounce it.

To someone who didn't actually know what it was supposed to say (likely a majority of Japan's 125+ million people) that's how it be pronounced. If I walked up to 100 people on the street in Japan, it's likely that the vast majority would break it down the way it's written in Katakana, as described above.
                            Oh OK, makes better sense.

Comment

I say Fest-TEE-va and Greg said something about it sounding weird, lol.
                              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X