So.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.....

Been trying to figure out why one of my cylinders isn't firing. Came home from work tonight, and was looking more at the fuel injectors. One had the tell tale sign of fuel around the body where it goes into the manifold. FINALLY! Some solid indication that my hunch of an injector was spot on! Just for S&G's, I decided to swap the suspect number two injector for number one, and see if the One cylinder stopped firing.

The O ring on the suspect injector looked like it might be a tad loose. Swapped them, then test fired. Fuel everywhere! Seating the injectors in the rail shredded BOTH O rings

Good thing it is a day off! Time to go to the store, and get some O rings to replace them ALL!
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

happens to me all the time - lube the oring before seating helps with this.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
    92 GL - parts car
    97 aspire - parts car
    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
      happens to me all the time - lube the oring before seating helps with this.
      It didn't help this time

New set for all four was $12 from Napa, gotta go put them in here in a few.

Comment

So, new O rings, swapped injectors, same cylinder isn't firing. Time for a full compression test

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
          So, new O rings, swapped injectors, same cylinder isn't firing. Time for a full compression test
          did you check to make sure it was not clogged while you had it out? Did you try taking a different one and moving it over....once you had the new o-rings ( I saw that you did it before the orings).
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Well, I kept the two swapped when I did the O-rings, so the injector is squirting. The cylinder is not firing for some other reason. The Compression test will be Sunday night, since I had to get a new gauge today, and don't have time before work It may reveal a worn exhaust lobe on the cam, and that is something of a nightmare for me, since removing the cam means removing the head. I don't need to be spending cash on a headset right now The old gauge that went bad read 120 PSI on the cylinder, and ran up quick, so I am fairly sure the piston and rings are fine.

Comment

Oh, did I mention? When cold, the cylinder seems to fire fine at 2K RPM. As it warms, that number goes up. If I rev the engine up to 4500 RPM, it will kick in at 2K again for a while. This was leading me to think of a clogged injector in the first place. If the compression test reveals nothing, I will take the air intake apart and check for blockage of air....

Comment

Have you checked your plugs, wires, cap, rotor? Maybe you have a short in that plug wire, or maybe one of the points inside the disty cap is corroded or loose. I had one that that point was just spinning... replaced the cap and all was good. Nice catch on the fuel leaking too BTW.
                The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

All that stuff was new recently, and spark to the cylinder is as good as good gets That was my FIRST check, to see if something had messed up. You can listen to the car, and hear the miss. When I hear a miss, the first thing I check is spark

I also got to thinking, while at work last night, that I can probably disco the motor mount on the psgr side, and tilt the engine so removing the cam won't require removing the head. Still, diagnose, THEN replace!

Comment

Working...
                  X