found a cheap festiva...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found a cheap festiva...

guy must be clueless cuz he lost the key and pulled all kinds of wires. now selling it dirt cheap. has a clean title, cool. looks to be in good shape, great.

but now for the problems::
    1. doesn't want me to work on it, but just tow it
    2. u-haul is the only rental I know of that rents tow-dolly's (semi-positive I guess...)
    3. u-haul doesn't allow ford rangers to tow EVEN A FESTIVA!

so that brings me back to fixing the ignition. I've spent half my free day off wasting time and I'm getting moody. and I haven't heard back from the guy. I don't think it'd take me more than 10-20 minutes to swap the wiring and another 5 to get out the old ignition, let alone spend 30 seconds on a different key that will unlock the steering and then plug in all new wiring and ignition to run the car home and fix it all later. which would save me so much money if he'd just let me tinker with it for that half hour. he actually thinks it needs a new steering column too! lol it really cracks me up some of the things but trying to tow the car home gets under my skin. such a waste of time today.

and why I'm voicing all of this?? idk...I'm kind of at my wits end, not giving up because it's a great deal.

I know I could rent a box truck and a tow dolly but would be quite an expense. I'm even half tempted to ride my 250 honda to his city, rent the box truck and tow it back that way but we'll see
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Sounds to me that it would need more than 30 min to fix and that's why he wants it gone. Look in your local CL and see if someone offers towing services. That may be cheaper.
    Oscar

Comment

I found a guy that rents tow dolleys for 25 bucks a day but it's a lot of back and forth driving out of the way...and certainly an excellent idea.

I also found a tow dolley for 250 bucks in DC on CL but...again...idk. i'll figure something out once I hear from the guy and figure something out with him

edit>> even if I crimp everything back together and drive it away, I don't care. I just don't want to drop more on towing than on the car
      Last edited by walth; 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM.
      Walth

Comment

if he doesn't want you to try and start it on his property, that might say something else... perhaps it doesn't run at all =(
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I've thought of that as well. But who pulls wires and says you need a new steering column when everything is still intact and it's just (IMO) because he can't get the ignition off.

it still has the stock gnarly radio lol

yeah, he didn't tell me that he pulled all the wires but he may not be clever enough to throw away a key just because something (possibly simple) could be wrong with the car.
          Walth

Comment

He should have called me. Since my keys seem to start roughly 50% of all the festivas in the world, I'd say I had a pretty good shot at starting his.

Good Luck!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'm sure anyone with more than one festy key is doing pretty good. I'm just waiting for Nate to get home tonight so I can get his collection to have handy when I, excuse me, if I get it.

btw, unless someone did some amazing work to this car and painted it (which doesn't sound like a logical story from what I've seen so far) it's a factory Yellow GL no sunroof tho but whatever. from what I can tell has standard GL interior, etc.
              Walth

Comment

Walth PM me with the location!
                We have the technology, or at least a potential solution to your issue.
                Last edited by Pu241; 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Might you get away with one of the following:

Pay him, push it down the road/street, fix and drive home?

take an extra festy bumper without the plastic, drill holes to install tow bar receivers, then tow home with Ranger. This is my method, only I tow with anotehr festy.

FX
                  Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                    take an extra festy bumper without the plastic, drill holes to install tow bar receivers, then tow home with Ranger. This is my method, only I tow with anotehr festy.
                    This ones an auto, so no flat towing.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

yeah, I'd tow it on all 4's 'cept it's an automatic and a pretty good drive. I'll have to hear from Jim & John on this: what if I overfilled the ATF in the tranny? lol.

and I may tow it on all 4's to a local store and work on it there, get it running and drive it home.

very good idea about the bumper. I have a spare bumper support here at the house I can work with.
                      Walth

Comment

or...OR...i could like duck tape some wheel dolly's to the front tires and hope for the best they stay under the front wheels :evil4:
                        Walth

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                          or...OR...i could like duck tape some wheel dolly's to the front tires and hope for the best they stay under the front wheels :evil4:
                          That would be funny^^^^

I worked at a rental company that rents everything from
                          backhoes to hammers. they had tow dollies for $50 a day.
                          They would rent them to anyone no matter what they were in.
                          Have you tried those type rental companies?
                          Just tell them your gonna be towing the car with something else,
                          and decided to pick up dolly with your ranger.
                          It might work?
                          93L sold. First FESTY!
                          91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                          91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                          89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                          93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                          89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                          93GL Sold Too Soon!
                          91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

I worked at a rental company that rents everything from
                            backhoes to hammers. they had tow dollies for $50 a day.
                            They would rent them to anyone no matter what they were in.
                            Have you tried those type rental companies?
                            I'm down with that. I'd rather get it the night before though, leave way earlier than when they open and get back obviously before they close. I just looked up and called the one here in town and no tow dollies...what's the name of the one you worked for? lol

Just tell them your gonna be towing the car with something else,
                            and decided to pick up dolly with your ranger.
                            It might work?
                            I don't really care for u-haul. we used to rent from them when I worked at a habitat for humanity warehouse and service was hit and miss.

and after finding out that they don't allow rangers to pull a friggin festiva I really don't care for them. The guy actually said that the car and trailor would weigh more than my ranger, I was like, NAA AH! ain't happenin. there's no way. "well, we still don't allow rangers, blah blah blah..."
                            Walth

Comment

I worked for a small 3 store company calle AABCO rents.
                              93L sold. First FESTY!
                              91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                              91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                              89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                              93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                              89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                              93GL Sold Too Soon!
                              91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Working...
                              X