Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do...?

Swap or hoard... that is the question!

So, I have a chance to get a teal '92 Festiva with a/c and 250k miles on the clock for $300. The only problem is, I am afraid it has the linkage issue that so many have faced. They said the transmission was replaced 2 years ago, so they are not sure what the problem is. It runs but is not drivable.

On the other hand, Ol' Red is starting to sound worse and worse the more I drive it. It smokes terrible and burns 1qt of oil every fill-up. So I was thinking swap time for it.

With the above being said, I can get a '93 Protege complete and running for around $500. It only has 96K on it.

The Protege is closer, but is in what we would call a "bad neighborhood". Let's just say, I am going with my .45cal if I get it. My question is, why so cheap with those low miles? The car looks decent in the picture, so is it a scam to get you jumped or what? Keep in mind, both vehicles are on CL, and I have only seen pictures.

So, what to do...? Risk getting jumped for a swap, or drive twice as far for another Festiva with a possible bad transmission?
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Both, but carry 2 friends..... Mr. 45 and a buddy.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I would get both, but funds are kinda limited at this point. I am on a 2 wk shutdown for maintenance at the factory. Good time to do a swap as far as having spare time, bad time to buy anything as the 2 wks are without pay. I will probably have to barrow to get either one. I really like the teal color, but to go and buy another car that will just sit there until I can get the $ to fix the trans probably isn't the right move. But then again, to barrow the money and get jumped and have it stolen doesn't sound grand either... I will store the teal Festiva for someone if they gave me the money to get it, but I just can't afford to have another car that doesn't run. It's weird, the more I talk about the dilema, the more excuses I come up with against and for both... Damned festivitus bug got me!
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

It's got us all. I can seem to get enough fast festivas
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I would settle for a good running slow one at this point!

My Fleet:

Comment

I'd say if you decide to go for the protege have them meet you somewhere like walmart or somewhere more public. Then of course your two friends :p
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
            X