Radiator leaking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator leaking.

Was on my way home and i started to smell coolant and the car was losing power. So i pull over and the engine started smoking. Step outside and notice there is coolant/antifreeze on the ground. Seems as if the top part of the radiator the big metal piece that is on top/connected to the radiator that the hose goes to and has the radiator cap on has a leak in it. Tried running that radiator stop leak(crappy i know) but i needed a way to get home. It didnt help. Eventually got it towed home.

Does anyone know a way i could fix the leak without replacing the whole radiator. Can i use a putty that hardens and put it around the leak or will that build up pressure and possibly blow the engine. Any suggestions would be good thank you. The engine is a 1.3 SOHC btw.
    1989 Ford Festiva L.
    4 Speed.
    323,000 Miles.

grab a new radiator from the junkyard.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

jb weld pudy will do the work, just when put on the wholes that are leaking make sure is dry and take the dirt , apply it and let dry 2 to 6 hours, it will turn to pure metal and will work like a sharm.

Comment

You can try a jb weld type thing to get you by temporarily but I would suggest a new rad for reliability. I would still investigate overheat damage to the engine since it was bad enough to cause a lack of power.

Comment

^+1. New ones aren't that expensive, and I never trusted a j/y one, because who knows if it's any good?
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

resuwrecked, what would you check for if you're looking for overheat damage?

my gf said her car was stuttering when it started to overheat, but it runs just the same as i've ever known it to. i fixed the leak from the thermostat housing.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
              I would still investigate overheat damage to the engine since it was bad enough to cause a lack of power.
              Very good point!
              If you've warped the head, even a new radiator wont get you back on the road.
              Now that it's at home fill the radiator with water and leave the cap off then try and start her up!
              If that goes well, watch for gas bubbles in the coolant if you don't find any your probably OK and need to fix or replace the radiator.

BTW, there is no "big metal piece" on the top part of the radiator.
              The black portion is a glass reinforced nylon. So anything you get to fill/seal the hole/crack needs to stick to nylon.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
              X