88 323 sedan tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 323 sedan tranny question

Does a 88 or 89 mazda 323 sedan have the cable driven tranny for the 1.8 swap?

There is one at my yard with a 1.6 DOHC in it, nice body, but was just wondering about the tranny cause I could get it for about 100 bucks.

Next question: Has anyone ever revved there festiva to 5800, then had problems with it idling really ruff, and feeling like its only running on 3 cyclinders? I got a tach cluster for mine, and while at my mechanice I did this, it went away, but do you think its a sign my engine is on its way out? 205K

The RPMS also have always bobbed between 900 and 1200 when idling since I got it in september.

Logan

is yours a carbed or efi Festy? If its efi, then you have hydraulic lash adjusters, which are prone to "pump-up". Basically, anytime your engine runs at high rpm, so does the oil pump. it puts out more pressure than can be properly regulated. This can cause the hla's to over-fill, which causes the valves to hang open, creating a misfire or runs-rough situation. Its aggrevated by high mileage engine with dirty lifters (bleed holes in lifter partially blocked with sludge), causing them to bleed-down even more slowly. The other thing that could occur on either engine, is oil ingestion during high rpm operation. Oil can migrate past weak or stuck rings, past dried, hard valve stem seals and worn valve guides. During very high rpm/high engine load periods, this oil can overwhelm the combustion chamber, fouling the spark plug until continued low(er) rpm operation clears enough of the oil to allow the plug to fire again.

not sure about the trans...
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

That explains a lot, but here's one for you. After about an hour of interstate driving (around 3500rpm), I'll pull off the highway and my car will want to idle high, like around 1000-1250. Any ideas?
      GT

Comment

it should idle that high

idling around a 1000 is normal on most cars, thats where my festiva(s) have always idled. It might just idle alittle higher because of the continued high speed use.

Comment

The 1988 sedan will have a transmission that is externally identical to the G25MR. I know because I have both transmissions in a pile in my garage.
          * Retired Festiva-er*
          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
          B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

externally?

So if its externally the same does that mean, that maybe only the gearing is different?

Logan

Comment

Yes... and its not nearly as strong.
              * Retired Festiva-er*
              1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
              B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Re: it should idle that high

Originally posted by Gforcefd
                idling around a 1000 is normal on most cars, thats where my festiva(s) have always idled. It might just idle alittle higher because of the continued high speed use.
                Well my car normally idles at around 750. It will only idle high after extended interstate driving. It'll continue idling high for about 15-20 minutes, or until I park the car for a bit. I'm beginning to think that there may be a deeper problem at work here.
                GT

Comment

Working...
                X