Question about tranny filters....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about tranny filters....

...I have always heard that if you do a tranny service,change fluid and filter,that it can actually make your tranny run worse . Anyone else ever hear this ? I am asking because I want to get one on my 99 Ranger because it is struggling in (what seems to be ) 3rd gear(it is an auto).

i can tell you first hand that i did a service on 2 different vehicles two different makes and models and both got worse rather than better
    a 1987 nissan pathfinder auto - trans died totally 3 months after changing filter/fluids
    1988 pontiac grand am auto - trans locked up 2 months after changing filter/fluids
    could just be my crappy luck or it could be true i'll just leave u to decide... all i know is i'll never change trans fluid in an auto again

Comment

Here is what my opinions are: Most of the time, when people said that they changed the fluid and it killed the transmission, it was because they let it go too long before changes, and there was already internal damage. If the transmission is still in good shape but the fluid is just old, changing it will help. If there is damage to the transmission, changing the fluid can actually hurt because it can loosen up some of the sludge that is holding it together. It is one of those in your own situation things. My brother changes his fluid every 30k according to the owners book, and it helps every time, my parents, who use there vehicle for towing and hauling, let it go 130k and 1000 miles after the change the tranny died on them because the bands were already shot.

It all depends on what shape the rest of the transmission is in.

Comment

Yeah,these are the type of stories I have heard.I have had my truck for a little over 2 yrs.Changed gears a "little" rough back then.Mechanic said no problems.Now it does it more and in 3rd gear seems to drag down the engine,hesitate(between 35-45).Above 45 and below 35 runs great.

Comment

Check the color of the fluid, that can tell you alot about the internals

Comment

If its been kept up on maintenance I would say go for it. As in regular fluid changes/flushes every 50k miles at least.

When I was in school we were taught 100,000 miles for change intervals. Thats ridiculous IMO.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by 1990festiva View Post
              Check the color of the fluid, that can tell you alot about the internals
              From what I've seen, if the fluid is dark and looks/smells too bad, leave it alone. The detergents in the fresh fluid will clean up the varnish and gunk and soon after the trans will fail. I had it happen to me on an old Mazda Protege. An employee of mine once had a '95 Dodge Ram. He ran it to 100K miles without changing the fluid. He took it to a trans shop for a flush and they warned him against it. He had it done anyway and within a week the trans fried.

On the other hand, I once bought an 02 Taurus with only 32K miles. The tranny was acting funny and the fluid was semi-dark and smelled burnt. Two local shops told me "any tranny with only 32K miles and fluid that bad has to be fried. You'll be lucky to get another 10K miles out of it." A third shop recommended changing the fluid and see what happens. I had a flush done every 20K miles from then on and sold the car with 120K miles and the tranny worked perfect. That was a case of the tranny getting hot once but not causing significant damage. Had I run it and not changed the fluid, it probably would have died within 10K miles.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Well,I'm still on the fence as to what to do.I know they can use a computer and analyze the engine,but,do they have something to analyze a tranny ???

Comment

Nothing I know of that you can "plug-in" on the tranny to get info from it.
                  Only thing is check the fluid for color, smell, and/or particles.
                  If that looks good drop the pan and check the bands.
                  If that all looks good change the fluid and filter(if it has one) and hope that helps/fixes the shifting issue.
                  If all doesn't look good have to make a call to change fluid or maybe just filter what you got and put it back in and begin to look for another tranny before this one is toast.

Anyone know much about Ranger ATX's?
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                  X