Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impending unavailability of new windshields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impending unavailability of new windshields?

Today, I had Novus in WA install new windshields in two of my Festies for $300 for BOTH, including tax, which seemed to be a pretty good price.

In talking, they're telling me that their ONLY one (of four) windshield sources that still supports the Festiva is an outfit called "Service Auto Glass" in OH, with a factory in NC. They put me on the phone with Service, which claims to have only one left, which I ordered to keep for future use.

I'm confused here. Are we at the end of the line for replacement Festiva windshields?

The stickers on what I bought today has a part number of "FW00544 BTNPPG" and says "PPG - Made In China." If PPG (or its agent in China) has the molds for the Festiva windshield, why can't it continue making them as long as Festiva owners want to buy them? The shop told me that it's not uncommon for windhields to become unavailable even before a car is out of production for 10 years (and we're at 17 now for the Festiva).

Will lack of windshields for Festivas to be permanently parked before lack of small tires does?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Junkyards are a great source of used but uncracked windshields. They're usually dirt cheap too... since every Festiva came with a windshield, and some of the ones in junkyards remain undamaged, windshields won't put an end to us.

The thing that's going to kill us (IMO) is the lack of suspension and steering equipment. Tie rods are beginning to grow scarce over on Rock Auto, and I highly doubt that their inventories will keep up in the next decade. Lack of 12" tires won't permanently park us... they'll all just have to upgrade to 13" instead.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Here's my 2 cents on this. Parts Availability will never put an end to Festivas here are some reasons why:

1) We're a creative bunch. If we cant get a part, we will modify something else or fabricate it.

2) My other car is 52 years old, and there are less than 6000 of it's MAKE left on the planet, let alone it's year or body style (Edsels were made for 3 years, there were 7 different models, with several different body styles per model) and i can still buy parts for it, at advance auto. Sure they are pricey, but they are there. As the big manufacture's of parts decide to cut parts, the smaller more specialty places pick up the slack. My new windshield was $1000 plus installation to get new, but it is still available. For example, you can't get the tires for it at you local shop either, but you can still order 8.00 x 14 Bias tires online. you'll be able to find tires for awhile, you'll just have to order off the internet instead of walmart.

3) When you cant buy something, you can always rebuild it. You would be amazed how easy it is to rebuild alot of car parts. Try to pick up the ability to rebuild parts, it will save you a ton of cash.

4) There are plenty of parts cars floating about.

5) And if all else fails there is always your local machine shop to do the work
      Last edited by 1990festiva; 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

There are companies that can do custom windshields if the need arises.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

I just checked my suppliers, and Pilkington, and PGW ( what PPG *IS* now) still have plenty of them. That is not to say that this may change at some point, but for now, they are still readily available.

Michael
          Have owned 9 so far
          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

yep i work for an auto insurance company and called our suppliers and they are still availiable

Comment

Service Auto Glass, (AKA Safelite's distribution channel) may be liquidating their stock they keep on hand.

Michael
              Have owned 9 so far
              Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

machine shop

Machine the parts out of billet. Pretend it's a Formula 1 car.

Comment

Billet windshield! Why didn't I think of this earlier??
                  Oscar

Comment

billet? seriously? man i cant see through metal.

Comment

Machine turned! Get started, Daniel!
                      Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                        billet? seriously? man i cant see through metal.
                        Two words: Expanded Metal

Coincidentally, I was just at the local iron scrapyard and spotted a low mileage, rust free Festiva L hidden in some plumb thickets. It was hit pretty hard in the right front (crushed the air box against the strut tower) but had a perfect windshield! Told them I would be back this weekend to get it!
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

that wouldnt do much for being a WIND SHEILD, keeping bugs out of your face and keeping your interior dry.. hmmm but it would look good i think. my windsheild is actually cracked but i dont have the "tool" needed to do it effectively and what a shame the local yard has 2 in good condition!
                          Last edited by MTec007; 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but it really gives you that "race car" feel!
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                              Billet windshield! Why didn't I think of this earlier??
                              "Ey, haven't yus hear of transparent aluminum" -Scotty
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X