LED Tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Tail lights

Driving such a small car, I am always worried about that guy in the lifted F-350 with giant tires behind me running me down when I try to stop. I have heard that LED brake/turn signal lights are brighter and come on faster than the incandescent bulbs that are standard for our cars. Also that they are easy to install as they just screw in the old socket. I was wondering if anyone has tried these and could tell me if the claims about them are true, as they are quite expensive compared to normal bulbs, and i am somewhat concerned about buying them.

Here is a pic of what i am talking about.

a guy i work with has a navigator and used those LED bulbs and, dangit if i completely went blank in the middle of this sentence. any way they dont draw enough power and they are causing him problems with "something". i cant remember what it is now.. ARRR. but they might work fine for our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
      any way they dont draw enough power and they are causing him problems with "something". i cant remember what it is now.. ARRR. but they might work fine for our cars.
      Maybe turn sigals?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You can use them, but have to get a no load flasher to use them since they do not use enough.

Comment

I believe they will just flash faster. Also that navigator is probably getting a "tail lamp out" or something similar.

You have to get the expensive ones for them to be brighter than incandescents. The cheaper ones are definitely not as bright. They dont "fill" the lamp housing as well. Definitely worth the power savings though. Less load on the alternator, less load on the engine.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

what about LED 9004 bulbs? lol i know they make some bright LEDs, matched with a good reflective back?

Comment

If memory is correct, You have to put a resistor across the bulb when using a standard flasher. This will give the flasher the load it needs to work correctly.
              MTec007, I've never seen LED headlights (9004), Sounds cool but wonder about the range. Definitely should help reduce the amp draw on the Alt /Battery.
              Last edited by Team Lightning; 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

When I'm able to get some money up i want to pull the lenses off of a set of tail lights and put a circuit board of LEDs on it to replace the bulb, kinda like how the new cadillacs are nowadays.
                Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

When i made a set of clear taillights i used those LED's bulbs and frankly i didn't care for them at all, the regular style bulbs work just fine for me so unless its a LED circuit board i'm using then i won't be switching to LED's

Just my 2 cents

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Standard LEDs don't have much of a spread, that's their downfall, you need alot to cover an area.
                    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

The best 1157 plug and play LEDs I've found are ebay seller warden_jp2002's
                      http://stores.ebay.com/warden-jp2002 . I found his source and their data sheet says they're 70 lumens. If you've seen the new Mercury Mountaineers, Chevy Malibus or (although they have a total of six LED modules) the 2010 Ford Mustangs, their LED modules (osram joules) have 80 lumens! Next to no difference!

I put them in my Dad's '91 Econoline conversion van and he loves them. I have the 3157's in my Grand Marquis and also installed a pair in my Aunt's Edge. Love those too!
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                      X