Just a quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick question

A friend of mine has a 91gl for sale, i think its got like 225,000 on it. He said it has new brakes, rotors, brake lines, and exhaust. The paint looks a bit rough on the outside, but the inside is clean. The shifter seems like its loose as it wobbles around and can be hard to find the gear sometimes. The passenger window comes off track when being rolled up and u have to push it back. It seems to run and drive perfect really other than that. Just wondering how much I should expect to pay and whats wrong with the shifter and how i can make it a tight quick shift? I have offered 500 and i think that i might be able to get it for that, is that good? Any help is much appreciated, thanks. DJ

the shifter bushings probably wore out. i think one of our members has some of those or can make them. i replaced my wore out bushings with washers from the hardware store mine is pretty good now, but it was like the one you describing. 500 sounds like a great deal there. Window regulators, if thats the problem are easy to replace, quick too.

Welcome to the site!! and put your location in your user CP.

Comment

DJ sounds like a good deal to me. I'd buy any running '90 or newer for that. The shifter fix is pretty simple. There is a couple plastic bushings that wear out.

Also add your location so locals can help you out.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I have been wanting a Festiva for a few years now so I'm pretty excited. I will most likely buy it, its 225k miles bad though? Are compatible upgrades easy to find? I would just like to have it fixed up so it looks good and is fun to drive, maybe just some better rims, 13in if i can find em, a couple of cosmetics like head and tail lights, a good sounding stereo, and maybe engine, drive train, or suspension upgrades.

Comment

225 is nothing if properly taken care of to that point. Lots of things out there to make it perform a little better to a lot better and you should be able to find stuff for the looks too.

Any rust on the car you are looking at? Depending on where you live you should be looking underneath it for rust issues. Good luck
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I will definitely check for rust next time. Are there any specific areas I should look for?

Comment

Originally posted by djthebogan View Post
              Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I have been wanting a Festiva for a few years now so I'm pretty excited. I will most likely buy it, its 225k miles bad though? Are compatible upgrades easy to find? I would just like to have it fixed up so it looks good and is fun to drive, maybe just some better rims, 13in if i can find em, a couple of cosmetics like head and tail lights, a good sounding stereo, and maybe engine, drive train, or suspension upgrades.
              Depending on how the car was cared for, 225k is no big deal, IMHO. I didn't hesitate to snag my 90, with 270K on it. Again, a lot depends on how previous owners treated the car. The shifter bushings are no biggie, nor is the window. Could be the regulator, could be as simple as the rubber guide inside the door being loose or gone.

Plus, you know no one on here is going to tell you not to buy it.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                Plus, you know no one on here is going to tell you not to buy it.
                unless someone on here wants to try and buy it heheh

Comment

Hey welcome! I'm right down the road from you in Columbus and even closer when I'm at school in Anderson!

I have quit a few parts laying around so I can help you put together your festy.
                  I'll probably have a spare low mileage B3, 5 speed tranny. I will also have probably sometime in the future a BP for sale.
                  I've got some extra Headlights and taillights and the yellow corner lights. Window regulators, grills, Interior plastics/door panels. Oh and I may have some rims. Then a bunch of other stuff.

We will have to meet up sometime! If you get the festy post some pics! Sounds like a good deal, all the problems are cheap fixes too.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                    Well, there is that.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                      I don't think the festy he's looking at is on CL (I search it everday :p)
                      Seems like the price of festiva's is rising. Even in the past 6 months I was seeing them for under 1,000 always and now it's rare to see that. Atleast around here.

I was hesitant to spend 750 on mine seeing how many people on here snagged there's for 500, 300, 100, etc. etc. But I'm super happy I got it now. It's so easy to make these cars look good and for cheap.
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

$500 for a running EFi festy is a great deal. Almost everything minus serious rust is an easy fix on these gems. Go for it!
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                          $500 for a running festy is a great deal. Almost everything minus serious rust is an easy fix on these gems. Go for it!
                          fixed it for ya. carbys are awesome festys too!

Comment

Ya, charlie that would be great. I'm really stoked to get it now, but i'm most likely going to have to wait till mid september. This site is really nice, i love how you guys are so willing to help out, thanks a lot. Also, its my good friends g/f that has it, all the stuff on craigslist is 800 and up that i've seen, usually 1,000.

Comment

Working...
                            X