Tires (not sure where to post this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires (not sure where to post this)

Hey guys ... haven't been on in a while do to lack of internet ... but i am here and gotta question lol ... i'm going to get some 14" rims for my 93 festiva and was wondering what size tires to get ... i was thinking flats or close to it .. and wanted to know what others have done and what size to get as i don't know much when it comes to tires sizes ... i am using my festiva as a DD and i need to get some stability as i drive 60 a lot of the time for where i go .. no stability with my 12"s .. so any thoughts are welcome and much appreciated
    -Travis

'93 L Festiva (Bullet) loving the 44 mpg

195/45r14 will keep the stock tire radius. If not 185/60r14 are more plentiful.

Whats this "stabilty" issue you are having?
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Going to 14", its never been done before!

Spend some time using the search function, huge amount of info there on 14's and issues that can arise.

Welcome back, you know there is a large community of festiva owners in FL.
      Contact one of them, they may be able point you to a local shop that can help.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
        What if its lowered?
        Will the 185/60r14's clear the rear perch?
        Pretty sure the 195's will be OK even if its lowered.
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

185 will not fit without aspire struts.

185/60/14 is 7.6% taller than stock and will make the speedo read 4-5 mph low at 60 mph. I would try for 185/50 or 195/45. Going to aspire struts will help your car a lot anyway.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'm now a true believer in Aspire rear struts, to clear just about any taller/wider tire issues.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Whats this "stabilty" issue you are having?
              Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              What if its lowered?
              Will the 185/60r14's clear the rear perch?
              Pretty sure the 195's will be OK even if its lowered.
              I'm not sure if his is lowered, but I'm pretty sure that is the size that Brian runs on his car(s). Meaning the 195/45r14s.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

As stated above, you will definitely need rear spacers or Aspire struts to clear the 185/60-14's. KYB's won't clear them, nor will any other Festiva strut, but spacers are pretty cheap off Ebay, and tires are much more plentiful in this size than 195/45. The speedo thing could be an issue if you're obsessive about your car/engine's mileage and the accuracy of your fuel economy, but it's not a major issue for a daily driver.

As for stability, my guess is that your wheels either need balancing or a proper alignment.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Thanks for all the replies .. my car is not lowered that i am aware of :scratch: .. the stability issue i am talking about is when i do 55+ the car tends to shake a bit and my steering wheel will go back and forth between the right and the left if i don't have a firm grip on it .. even though i and still going straight .. so it kinda has a feel as if i am floating .. but i still have enough traction to continue going ... i have actually been talking to eurotiva about it and we are gonna get me some new tires when i get the money in a month or so ... i just wanted to get everyone's opinion on going to 14"s before doing it ...

when u say 185/60r14 are more plentiful do u mean it is easier to find them??

the speedo isn't a problem as it is about 10% off right now .. i just use my gps to tell my my mph lol
                  Last edited by sorcmasta; 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM. Reason: new post added while i was posting
                  -Travis

Comment

Mileage can be corrected by a multiplication factor to odo readings.
                    Speedo just have to remember it is off x miles per hour.

Or use a GPS.
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ Have you looked at your rack/boots? My 89 was kind of like that before I did my rack boots/tie rod ends/LCAs. Don't blame you for wanting better quality tires, just advising that you make sure the fundamentals are good before you buy wheels/tires and still have the same issue.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                        ^^ Have you looked at your rack/boots? My 89 was kind of like that before I did my rack boots/tie rod ends/LCAs. Don't blame you for wanting better quality tires, just advising that you make sure the fundamentals are good before you buy wheels/tires and still have the same issue.
                        honestly i don't know enough about cars to know what rack/boots/tie rod ends/ or LCAs are ... but i will definately have my girls dad (grease monkey) to look at them ... either way i have to get new tires as they are low on thread .. so i figured i would upgrade while getting new tires
                        -Travis

Comment

I would not use 185/60/14's with stock brakes. What size tires are you using now that give you a 10% speedo error?
                          Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                            I would not use 185/60/14's with stock brakes.
                            I would agree. 14's make the most sense post-Aspire swap.
                            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                              I would not use 185/60/14's with stock brakes. What size tires are you using now that give you a 10% speedo error?
                              right now using 155r12 .. thats what was on the car when i got it ... instead of the stock 145

which i actually just thought of something ... i have 3 tires that are 155r12 76s and 1 (front left) that is 155/80r12 ... would that have anything to do with the stability?? and i am sure i need a alignment cuz it pulls to the right
                              -Travis

Comment

Working...
                              X