Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like the festiva is going to the junkyard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the festiva is going to the junkyard.

Has a blown headgasket and probably a cracked head. Dont have the time or money to fix it. Its a shame since i will probably only get 100 dollars out of it max. Still runs just overheats.

Thanks everyone for all your help and answering my questions along the way.

P.s. i put a brand new radiator in it, should i take that out before i junk it and are there any other parts worth keeping? the headlights are in good condtion.
    1989 Ford Festiva L.
    4 Speed.
    323,000 Miles.

I was about to post "why junk it just because of such a simple problem" but then I saw the mileage and your location. Im guessing the body is shot.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

there is a lot of rust on the vehicle but im not going for looks. i was just looking for solid transportation and i have never taken an engine part and no one wants to help me because they say its a piece of crap. So im forced to junk it lol.
      1989 Ford Festiva L.
      4 Speed.
      323,000 Miles.

Comment

Then ask them if its such a POS why did it last to 323,000 miles?

Swapping heads is fairly simple. Get a haynes manual or something similar. If its seriously just a head gasket or head dont junk the car. Also there may be someone on here nearby that could help you out.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I wish there were some of you guys around here to help me, then we could actually fix it for sure lol.
          1989 Ford Festiva L.
          4 Speed.
          323,000 Miles.

Comment

Hold on to it for a bit, Im sure something will come up. I know we have some michigan members.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Yea dont junk it, it still has potential and trust me i dealt with really bad rust before.
              1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
              :spam1:is delicious

Comment

No reason not to make this your first engine rebuild...
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Bwayney View Post
                  Dont have the time or money to fix it. Its a shame since i will probably only get 100 dollars out of it max.
                  So your going to get another running car for $200? The money you saved by not working on your car, the head, & headgasket?

Seriously 4hrs of your weekend and you will have a running car.
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Might be easier for you to just swap out the engine or engine/tranny(5 spd).
                    A lot of people doing swaps, so there maybe perfectly good engines, even for a '89 carbie available on here somewhere.
                    And swapping like for like is about as easy as it gets.
                    I think easier than doing the head gasket, others may disagree.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

pm iceracerdude he lives in MI, and might even have a spare head lying around!
                      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Scholtz

Have it towed to Scholtz's in Capac. Its right on I69. My favourite spot.

Last edited by bravekozak; 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Okay, so you've either got a blown head gasket, a cracked head, or both. Question, is money so tight that you could not park the car, gather the necessary parts, get a hayne's or Ford manual, take your time and replace?

I would actually be surprised if you get $100 from a scrap yard. Around here the going rate is 80 bucks a ton. Considering that a Festiva weighs less than 2000 pounds, you'd be lucky to get 70 or 75 maybe. Is it worth that?

You got to do what you got to do, I understand that. But replacing the head/gasket is definitely not the worst job ever. And the best way to get experience in engines is tear one apart that you don't necessarily "need" right now. Just my .02, tho.

As far as people telling you it's a piece of crap. Can't tell you how many times I've heard that with my 3 Festivas. In one ear, out the other.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

people that shun the festivas as a "piece of crap", are either jealous, or secretly hope that you'll sell it to them, so they can fix it, and keep it to themselves.

I'd tear into it, and see how bad things are. I certainly would not give up, just yet!!!
                            Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

I ended up junking it at a LKQ here in michigan and i miss it i will not lie about that. It drove the 7 miles to the junkyard with a blown head and almost zero coolant. shifted like a champ. I eneded up getting 125 dollars from them.
                              1989 Ford Festiva L.
                              4 Speed.
                              323,000 Miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X