No announcement yet.

neat car came into work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla has a 4 door car, that has a good range. $$$ tho. I did see a regular tesla cruising the other day in miami
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I really like its looks and would love to have something better for the environment, but like everyone else, $30,000 is just way more than I would ever pay for a car. I can go a long way on $30,000 worth of gas in Big Red!
      Pat

:fred:1993 5 spd "Big Red" - Daily Driver
      1994 Honda Del Sol DOHC VTEC
      2004 Mazda 3
      -----------
      5 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in shelters. Have your pets spayed or neutered.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Stivadiva View Post
        I can go a long way on $30,000 worth of gas in Big Red!
        At $3/gallon assuming 40 MPG = 400,000 miles

At $6.00/gal @40 MPG is still 200,000 miles.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

30k and only a 100 mile round trip is not that great in my opinion
          i enjoy driving too much to only drive 100 miles
          the technology is out there i'm sure to make these things much more reasonable and efficient and cheaper too probably
          still not sure i'd want one unless it can do 100 miles per hour

Comment

Isn't this the car that Ford estimated for release in '97,
            but killed it as soon as GM got CA to help them repo/crush all the EV1s?
            Nice to possibly, maybe, perhapse see a 13year old design being begrudgingly
            produced/released to the general public to try to help the public image of the same company
            Who fought tooth and nail to keep it out of production when it was new.
            J

"Superduder may or may not be a racist ..." -Pu241

WoW it's just orwelltastic here isn't it?

Comment

Would there be any federal/state/local tax credits available at time of purchase since it's electric? $30K is a bit steep for that; A VOLT can be had for just a few thou more with the tax credits.

I rather like the looks of it; it looks like someone actually thought about some details, unlike some other little electrics running around (the ZENN comes to mind). I like the flat paint....or is it a matte finish on plastic? And look where the side markers are in the wheel arches; a neat idea.
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

You would think with Lipo batteries it would have a better range though? hmm, something is missing here.
                Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by superduder View Post
                  Isn't this the car that Ford estimated for release in '97,
                  but killed it as soon as GM got CA to help them repo/crush all the EV1s?
                  Nice to possibly, maybe, perhapse see a 13year old design being begrudgingly
                  produced/released to the general public to try to help the public image of the same company
                  Who fought tooth and nail to keep it out of production when it was new.
                  J
                  no, Ford bought Th!nk in '97. They invested $40 million into the project, only to have to sell off the company to help avoid bankruptcy.

Who fought to keep it out of production? No one that I'm aware of. I worked for Ford corporate from '99 till '06. The project stalled because viable, cost effective batteries didn't exsist. In 2002, it was projected the car would have cost $45k, and have a 50 mile range, with a top speed of 55mph with 'hot' batteries (sodium nickel).
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                    You would think with Lipo batteries it would have a better range though? hmm, something is missing here.
                    I wasn't allowed to take pics of the batteries. The Th!nk reps were here, not the EnerDel reps. The batteries in this demo unit still belong to them. Given the size of the batteries, the range and speed is impressive. This car is LIGHT. I picked up the back end by myself... off the ground! Maybe 1200lbs...?

We have a GEM that weighs almost as much, has a top speed of 28 mph, and a range of about 15 miles on a good day. That uses Pb/So4 batteries. I do alot of work with alt fuel, hybrids and EVs. Nothing is missing here. LiPo capacity is often significantly exaggerated, especially when talking about high density cell packs like this. Current flow MUST be limited to prevent localized overheating of the cells. More current can be drawn, but active cooling must be employed, which also draws current, and effectively reduces range right back to where we started. We just get there a little faster, and shorten the service life of the batteries.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                      Would there be any federal/state/local tax credits available at time of purchase since it's electric? $30K is a bit steep for that; A VOLT can be had for just a few thou more with the tax credits.

I rather like the looks of it; it looks like someone actually thought about some details, unlike some other little electrics running around (the ZENN comes to mind). I like the flat paint....or is it a matte finish on plastic? And look where the side markers are in the wheel arches; a neat idea.
                      the price is not taking into account the tax credit of $7500. And again, actual price has not yet been released. But remember, 'Green' is stylish now. They'll charge as much as someone is willing to pay... If you only knew the actual profit margin of some vehicles...

The body is all plastic, not sure what type. No paint. It's rather rigid, has good torsional stability and resistance to 'oil-canning'. Doesn't appear to be a urethane or PET. I'm guessing possibly some type of fluoropolymer.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I'm suspicious of all these "green" cars. For the investment, a Festiva or Aspire is a far better buy, even if you had to do a lot of major repair up front. Electric cars need charging, so its true cost is dependent on the cost of electricity*...plus the batteries need replacing every what, 5 years? Hidden costs. Plus full coverage insurance and payments with interest for most people. Festys are looking better and better, even a superclean one for $1900.

To me the Volt is a laughingstock. $40K, with a 40-MILE RANGE? Insanity.

* Obama is on videotape saying that under his cap-and-trade plan, energy prices would "necessarily skyrocket", his exact words. So beware.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                          The body is all plastic, not sure what type. No paint. It's rather rigid, has good torsional stability and resistance to 'oil-canning'. Doesn't appear to be a urethane or PET. I'm guessing possibly some type of fluoropolymer.
                          Don't know what type plastic either but would thin thermoplastic rather than thermoset. Don't think it would be a fluoroploymer, they are very expensive, as in 8+ $/lb. and are very inert with respect to chemical attack, but not a lot of physical strength (flex and ten). Now could have a small percentage of fluoropolymer to help with molding and surface appearance as well as giving a high energy surface, ie water beads up on it!
                          I would bet GForcefd's testicles that body panels are an alloy of PolyCarbonate and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (PC/ABS).
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            To me the Volt is a laughingstock. $40K, with a 40-MILE RANGE? Insanity.
                            Volt is 40 miles on battery-only. Indefinate range in series hybrid mode (gas powered generator).
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              Don't know what type plastic either but would thin thermoplastic rather than thermoset. Don't think it would be a fluoroploymer, they are very expensive, as in 8+ $/lb. and are very inert with respect to chemical attack, but not a lot of physical strength (flex and ten). Now could have a small percentage of fluoropolymer to help with molding and surface appearance as well as giving a high energy surface, ie water beads up on it!
                              I would bet GForcefd's testicles that body panels are an alloy of PolyCarbonate and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (PC/ABS).
                              works for me! Hey, you're the chemical engineer around here, not me! :p
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                                Perhaps it's made of Prefabulated Amulite?

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                                Volt is 40 miles on battery-only. Indefinate range in series hybrid mode (gas powered generator).
                                According to Chevy, it's 40 miles electric, and then an additional 300 miles with the on-board generator.

Apropos of nothing, the Volt is a hell of a lot better looking than the Leaf.
                                Last edited by deathegg; 07-28-2010, 09:55 PM.
                                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                                Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                                X