Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used car long distance?

Hey everyone,
    I am preparing, in the next 2 months, to purchase a new dd to replace the DeathEgg, which, while not on it's last legs, is nearly 22 years old, and is just plain old worn out. (ok, ok, the new car could not replace the Festiva of course).

Looking to get a good '03 Protege5. However most I've seen that are good are out of state.
    That could change of course, but what if I saw a good one out-of-state? Not concerned about titling issues, etc, but I would like to test-drive it etc before buying...but if it's long distance, I don't want to waste my time driving there, etc etc. I would want a competent mechanic who is not affiliated with the seller to give it a good inspection on my behalf, etc.
    Also I'm going to apply for a bank loan, but of course they want the VIN, and I'm not going to apply if It's not exactly the car I want.

I missed out on one on Ebay because it's an auction! How could I have gone to the bank without knowing the final price? (turns out it sold for about 1/2 of what retail is...D'oh!)

Also, if anyone here in PA, MD, OH, NJ, WVA, VA etc sees one that seems good, please let me know! Looking to find an '03 P5, manual trans, miles accurate for the year, preferably White, but other colors may be ok.
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Might I suggest using www.craiglook.com. It's a great way to browse CL within a 250 mile radius.
    www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
    www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
    Snoopy's
    4621 Atlantic Ave
    Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

www.searchtempest.com is a good way too.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Kind of on the subject but how do you guys buy cars out of state and drive them home legally?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

You can call your insurance and add insurance and use the tag off one of your insured cars. Craiglook does nationwide search unless you specify your zip code and hit search. THEN you can select the mile radius. Option...have it transported to you. I would suggest you go see it in person and buy in person first!

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            Kind of on the subject but how do you guys buy cars out of state and drive them home legally?
            As was already posted, call insurance agent with the VIN, get coverage, and depending on the state, you may get a temporary "transport tag".

That's what i got when i bought my Suburban in Philly. Flew out, drove home.

Comment

I imagine that if I do find one I REALLY like, that I'd put down a deposit somehow, making sure it's refundable if I decide against it, and then rent a car to go get it, dropping off the rental car in whatever town it is. At least that sounds like a good idea.....
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

Fly there or roadtrip with a friend. Especially in an unknown car, being alone on a long drive home would be scary knowing any help is a long ways away and/or expensive.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                  I imagine that if I do find one I REALLY like, that I'd put down a deposit somehow, making sure it's refundable if I decide against it, and then rent a car to go get it, dropping off the rental car in whatever town it is. At least that sounds like a good idea.....
                  Deposits shouldn't be refundable. The deposit is your proof to the seller of your commitment to purchase. It isn't fair to the seller, who is taking his car off the market and maybe missing a sale if you change your mind. At least with a deposit he would have something for missing that other sale. That being said, don't put down more than you are willing to part with, if you change your mind.

+1 on either flying, or better yet road-tripping with someone else, in case of mechanical probs on the way home.

When I buy another car, I just take an unexpired license plate from a car I formerly owned (or currently own) and slap it on. Not strictly legal, but it's only for the trip home. I do get it insured for the trip.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

+! or would that be +2 on roadtripping, with a buddy if possible. You guys should really check with your insurance co. Mine automatically covers any vehicle I buy for something like 10 days. I just have to have a current card from one of my other insured vehicles in the car. As far as tags go, I have been known to yank a tag from a current vehicle, or if I'm picking up a truck, I have a farm use tag that I use. Never been stopped or questioned, and I've picked up 3 or 4 trucks that way.

Another option for checking out a car long distance is to see if there's someone on here close enough to give it a test drive/ once over. Most of us, even tho we prefer to do our own work, have a go to mechanic for certain stuff. I know in my case, a couple of guys I went to school with run a shop a few miles from my house. Have been known to stop in and grab one of them on my way out to a car.
                    Last edited by batstiva; 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                    X