The Boss is back -this time its real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boss is back -this time its real

I remember the advertisements in 1982 for the new Mustang GT. They said "The Boss is back", but it was only a slightly warmed over 5.0 with a 2Bbl carb & marine camshaft and fake hood scoop. This time, it's it's a little more serious! Check out the link......................

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Sweet......I want one.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

that's puuurdy!
      91' Festiva GL <AKA> "Little Boy Blue"
      --------------------------------------------------

Comment

ah i love it!
        1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
        :spam1:is delicious

Comment

Ya or the 1984 ''GT 350". It had about the same mods.
          The H.A.M.B.
          http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by red stiva View Post
            Ya or the 1984 ''GT 350". It had about the same mods.
            ??????

As far as I'm aware, the '84 "GT350" was just a 20th anniversary appearance package. Check out the link, the new Boss 302 is a factory modified version with numerous upgrades to the suspension and engine. It should come in somewhere between a stock GT and a Shelby GT500...
            probably even faster around a road course than the Shelby.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

No, I wasn't comparing the 84 shelby and the new boss. At the top of your first post I thought you had said something about an 80's boss remake, I misunderstood. It was just appearance for the shelby. I meant this 80's boss i thought you were talking about was about the same as the 80's shelby, you just meant the new 82 GT. The New boss yes, is very much modified.
              The H.A.M.B.

Comment

No, I wasn't comparing the 84 shelby and the new boss. At the top of your first post I thought you had said something about an 80's boss remake, I misunderstood. It was just appearance for the shelby. I meant this 80's boss i thought you were talking about was about the same as the 80's shelby, you just meant the new 82 GT. The New boss yes, is very much modified.
                I gotcha now! I was only commenting on the '82 GT because Ford used the phrase (albeit very loosely) "The Boss is back!" in it's advertising back in 1982. Although the new 5.0L H.O. GT was a big leap in performance at the time, it was not even close to the original. This new 2012 deserves to hold the title "Boss 302".

That '84 "GT350" was a very strange package........Never did figure out why they stuck GT350 rocker stripes on the side of an otherwise stock Mustang that had absolutely nothing to do with Shelby. Why not just call it a Cobra (since Ford used it on other non-Shelby vehicles) or put the twin LeMans stripes over the top. I guess Ford's marketing had their reasons. I can imagine what the old-timers at the assembly plant were saying!
                Last edited by blkfordsedan; 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM. Reason: added comment
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                  I gotcha now! I was only commenting on the '82 GT because Ford used the phrase (albeit very loosely) "The Boss is back!" in it's advertising back in 1982. Although the new 5.0L H.O. GT was a big leap in performance at the time, it was not even close to the original. This new 2012 deserves to hold the title "Boss 302".

That '84 "GT350" was a very strange package........Never did figure out why they stuck GT350 rocker stripes on the side of an otherwise stock Mustang that had absolutely nothing to do with Shelby. Why not just call it a Cobra (since Ford used it on other non-Shelby vehicles) or put the twin LeMans stripes over the top. I guess Ford's marketing had their reasons. I can imagine what the old-timers at the assembly plant were saying!
                  Ya it was a big deal because it was the first car that could actually do a burnout in about ten years! I agree with you on the '84 shelby, it for sure wasn't like the previous one.
                  The H.A.M.B.

Comment

Ya it was a big deal because it was the first car that could actually do a burnout in about ten years! I agree with you on the '84 shelby, it for sure wasn't like the previous one.
                    Yep. Lots of younger people, who have grown up with computer-controlled engines, 4 valve engines, port-FI, etc, have no idea about that. For many years cars were just choked with emissions equipment, unable to get out of their own way. That early 80's GT was a HUGE deal, even though by 2010 standards 157 h.p. is pathetic for a V8. The '83 got 175 h.p IIRC, and that was also a very big deal.

I'm looking forward to the 2014 Mustang. 50th anniversary!
                    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                    Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                      Yep. Lots of younger people, who have grown up with computer-controlled engines, 4 valve engines, port-FI, etc, have no idea about that. For many years cars were just choked with emissions equipment, unable to get out of their own way. That early 80's GT was a HUGE deal, even though by 2010 standards 157 h.p. is pathetic for a V8. The '83 got 175 h.p IIRC, and that was also a very big deal.

I'm looking forward to the 2014 Mustang. 50th anniversary!
                      the HP that V8's are pushing now is pathetic compared to the real muscle car days
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        the HP that V8's are pushing now is pathetic compared to the real muscle car days
                        ????????????

A real 1970 454/450 lS6 would make MAYBE 390 on a good day as installed in the car.

Put it back to its dyno tune with headers, no fans or alternator sure it would make the 450 mark and with a good tune and a little work you could get 500 but thats still just a fraction over 1hp/cubic inch

1970 454/450 .99 hp per cid
                        2012 302 /440 1.45 hp per cid
                        Last edited by NovaSS; 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM.
                        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

sex on wheels!!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            ^ WRONG ^

Not only are today's engines producing gobs of power like NovaSS said smaller displacement AND more power than the "real" muscle car days, but they would be MUCH lighter if it wasn't for today's amenities and safety standards. -Kyle
                            Last edited by Silv3rBull3t; 08-16-2010, 08:53 AM.
                            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Just look at the typical 1/4 mile times. Back in the late '60s/early '70s, if a muscle car ran high 14's / low 15's it was considered fast. If it lasted 100K miles then it was lucky. You also have to look at the way HP was rated in the '60s. Engines were was rated gross (no accessories, super dyno tune, etc.). Now, they're rated NET (full accessories, intake tract & full exhaust, etc.). If you take a 271hp 289 and add all the modern accessories, you'll end up with around 225 NET (+/-). If you take a stock 4.6L PI (281cid) 2-valve rated at 260hp NET, remove all the accessories and tune it on the dyno, you'll get just shy of 300hp.

I remember in the last Presidential election, Obama was giving a speech on how "EVIL" the American car companies were. He said the first Model T was as fuel efficient as most modern cars (true) and tried to use that as evidence that the car companies had not made any progress in 90 years.
                              What a deceiving and ignorant statement! I guess he thought everyone was either stupid or his speech writer was a complete Moron. The truth is that we now have 4000+Lb sleds that go 0-60 in 6 seconds, have climate control, carry 6 people in comfort, pull trailers at speeds faster than a Model T could even travel, have near "0" emissions and STILL use the same amount of fuel!
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X