Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway mileage of 4 speeds?

4 speed carb'd owners:

What kind of highway mileage do you usually get? At what highway speeds do you usually get the best mileage?

Does your car get better or worse mileage at high speeds than regular city driving?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

I have only driven mine for 3 tanks of gas since I got it. Not my daily driver. But for what its worth, I got 43 mpg, basically cruising at 50-60mph on 1 and 2 lane highways with some around town added to that. My worst tank was 38mpg and that was mostly around town to Home Depot etc. But it took me 4 weeks to do that, plus it had gotten cold by that time in Dec. and the choke and revs were up for a little longer.

Because of my brake and susp repair issues my car really can't be driven much faster than 65mph right now anyway.

89 L

Comment

65 - 70 miles one way, mostly highway, 70 - 85+mph (4600rpm steady-state!), 32 - 34 mpg
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

When I had my 88 I think I averaged 35 both city and highway, if I was going 37 on the highway.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
          65 - 70 miles one way, mostly highway, 70 - 85+mph (4600rpm steady-state!), 32 - 34 mpg
          Jesus christ. I'm worried about my engine when I drive it at 85mph at 3500rpm. You either have a low mileage engine or just don't care.
          GT

Comment

I'm not really impressed with the 24 mpg I get. It's pretty consistent whether I'm driving 35 in the city or 85 (foot the floor like a bat out of hell) on the highway.

I'd love to get the mpg up, but haven't yet dedicated the time and energy to make it happen.

Comment

have you tried slowing down on the highway? :-P much over 60 and you're killing your fuel economy. city driving sucks too no matter what the speed because you have to stop and go.

Comment

Originally posted by FestyGGK
                I'm not really impressed with the 24 mpg I get. It's pretty consistent whether I'm driving 35 in the city or 85 (foot the floor like a bat out of hell) on the highway.

I'd love to get the mpg up, but haven't yet dedicated the time and energy to make it happen.
                Buy a can of SeaFoam and dump it down the carb.

It's that simple.

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Andrew, I'm sure you're right. It's just too damned fun driving the Festy like a maniac; I can't help myself.

Tim, where do I get that Seafoam stuff anyway? Is it just carb cleaner or what?

Comment

I average about 37-40 mpg during all my driving (88 4-speed).
                    long ago, when the speed limit was 55 mph, I drove from Pittsburgh to Mt.Airy, MD. Stopped only once, kept it to 55mph.......I got 54.6 MPG!!!

haven't computed my mileage lately, gas is too expensive to fill up!!
                    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                    Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by FestyGGK
                      Andrew, I'm sure you're right. It's just too damned fun driving the Festy like a maniac; I can't help myself.

Tim, where do I get that Seafoam stuff anyway? Is it just carb cleaner or what?
                      You can buy it at most auto parts stores. It's about $6 for a can.

It's not carb cleaner, but something you pour into the gas/oil/carb/vacuum line that's supposed to clean out your system.

One can of this down the carb made my mileage go up from 28 to 33 MPG.

Another can in the oil and gas made it go up to 36.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred
                        Jesus christ. I'm worried about my engine when I drive it at 85mph at 3500rpm. You either have a low mileage engine or just don't care.
                        why? the engine is designed to tolerate that rpm. Its got 170k on it, doesn't make a bit of noise.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I bought two cans of SeaFoam today. I guess I've been living under a rock, cause everyone seems to know of it but me. I'll try it out, and report back on the results.

Comment

why? the engine is designed to tolerate that rpm. Its got 170k on it, doesn't make a bit of noise.
                            exactly....just put 263 thousand on early this week and it still does good at high rpm
                            90 L FI..second B3
                            90 L Parts car
                            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by studdyhalllooser
                              exactly....just put 263 thousand on early this week and it still does good at high rpm
                              Don't the higher RPMs accelerate engine wear and increase the chance of inadvertently tearing up bearings, or is that just a myth?
                              GT

Comment

Working...
                              X