Opinions on a Daewoo Lanos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a Daewoo Lanos?

Hey guys, my gf is in need of a cheap car since hers is nearing the end of it's life and things keep going wrong with it. We found a 2000 Daewoo lanos that she really likes, but I don't know much about them. I've read a lot of good reviews on them, but also a lot of bad ones. This one has 103k, auto, brand new tires, new timing belt, just inspected and passed. Seems to run fine, just wondering if anyone here has any input or experience with them? He's asking $2k but will take $1700
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

I'd offer 1200. They were bought out buy GM. Have fun finding parts. In cali they would hoard those cars and park them at the back of the lot and not sell parts off any of them. Some of them had dealer plastic still on the fenders and quarter panels.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

May friend bought one new and he seemed to like it though...
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
        I'd offer 1200. They were bought out buy GM. Have fun finding parts. In cali they would hoard those cars and park them at the back of the lot and not sell parts off any of them. Some of them had dealer plastic still on the fenders and quarter panels.
        Yeah, I tried offering $1200 first, but he said he already had an offer of $1600 from someone else. I know that's probably just him trying to bs us though. If we decide on getting it I was planning on taking cash and waving it in his face to see if that would tempt him
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

I had a co-worker who had one and said it was fine..except he couldn't get parts for it.

Comment

Hey,

That's funny, if you notice my post below I just picked up a 2001 Lanos for my GF. I did a lot of homework before we bought it and I'd be happy to share what I learned and such. Don't really feel like typing that much but if ya like I'll pm you my number. Btw hers has 89k and I bought it for a thousand even.
            Last edited by Ogrekhan; 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM. Reason: My elite spelling skills :P
            Jeremy.S
            1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
            1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
            1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

^Good talking to you Jeremy. She's pretty excited about it now. We're going back tomorrow and will keep you updated

Comment

It's taking every ounce of restraint in my mind not to make a dumb reference to a certain film.

Wouldn't most parts be available from GM/Suzuki/all the other companies that sold that platform?
                you just got killed by a daewoo lanos monkey fighter

Comment

Just my 2¢, but I would Not buy a Daewoo, I was in the car sales business for about 5 years, saw alot with problems. Again, just my considered opinion.
                  If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                  Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                    Just my 2¢, but I would Not buy a Daewoo, I was in the car sales business for about 5 years, saw alot with problems. Again, just my considered opinion.
                    Well, you can make that two of us. I always liked the looks of the Lanos hatch, but don't think I'd purchase one these days.

FYI, I did a little write-up on the Lanos in January.
                    Subcompact Culture features content about small cars, trucks, SUVs, and CUVs including reviews, editorials, travel, trends, and lifestyle.
                    Subcompact Culture: The Small Car Blog
                    Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

They build the crap out of them overseas from what I read.
                      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                      1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                      2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                      2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I've never seen one with over 120,000 miles on it.
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Are we kidding here? Daewoo's are the worst, and the Lanos is the WORST of the worst! They were rated at 59 horsepower, and the 5speeds were rated at 26mpg! How does that even make sense? They are the cheapest car Korea makes. Then GM (which has owned them from the start, didn't "buy them out") rebadged them as Suzuki's. Most of Suzuki's line until recently when they finally dropped them, were Daewoo. The Reno, Forenza, all of them were Daewoo crap. Thank goodness they dropped them before suzuki (not a bad car) lost everything.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                          1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                          1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                          1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                          1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                          1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                          1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

We decided not to get it!

Comment

Working...
                            X