Cleaning engine bay procedures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning engine bay procedures.

Ok my festivas engine bay is probably the most nastiest on the forum not due to a oil leak but just years of grime and build up. Most any car I have owned and had to wash the engine bay usually ends up with a bad miss fire or wont start at all. I am about to attempt to wash mine here in a few mins and was wondering if you fellas had any tricks to cleaning one while avoiding this problem.

Im not rich so I wont be going to a car wash or using a pressure washer but insted washing by hand. I have been told to use shopping bags or trash bags but what do I cover with these? I figure I should atleast cover the ALT, fuse panel, dizzy, and spark plugs but is there anything else?

This is going to be a dirty nasty mess but i will post before and after pictures. I thought about just waitng untill I swap in my b8 but that is a spring project and I cant wait that long.

Here I go!
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

distributor

Just cover the distributor with a plastic bag and make sure it is sealed good and tight. I washed my car once and it stalled downtown on top of the elevated Gardiner Expressway. I popped the hood, took off the distributor cap poured out the water, gave it a few puffs from my lungs, started the engine and made it home. It is the distrubutor that must be protected at all costs.

Comment

Well here is a before picture of the engine bay.

I also couldnt help but to throw up a picture of the festy.

I will have a after picture probably tomorrow. I figure it will probably take that long to get it some what clean. This grime was caused by a freeze plug blowing out. In person it is actually worse then the picture shows.
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Ha you should have seen my old green BP festiva, that engine bay was WAYY dirtier then yours :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Lots of simple green degreaser (regular or heavy duty), a couple of scrubbing pads, and a power washer. All I did for prevention was to bag the distributor as stated above. Man... that stuff was so thick... I can't wait to replace/rebuild this B3... there's major issues around the radiator hoses and the valve cover gasket.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

This engine bay wasnt that bad when my brother bought the car for 75 bucks. It was kinda dirty but then he took it off road and this was the aftermath plus the 10,000 miles I have put on it. Im sure the bay will clean up fine, as for the engine... I will try. Not really concerned but a clean bay with a dirty engine would be kinda be pointless.

The worst I have ever seen was a aspire we tore apart. The rear part of the block had to have atleast 2 solid inches of grease lmfao.

Comment

Wow Aaron that is a totally nice cleaning job. I have everything needed besides a pressure washer but I guess a garden hose with a spray nozzel is gonna have to do. Im gonna grab a bottle of STP's ooomph just to cut the grime alittle easier, but nice job man.

Comment

A can of engine degreaser and a garden hose......
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I use aluminum foil to cover both the disty and the alternator--altho I think the alt is not as crucial.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Im just going to take a shopping bag and cover the dizzy and clean away on it. As long as it will start back up and dont back fire and choke out it'll be fine, I just want to be able to pop the hood and not be disgusted.

Comment

If you don't have a pressure washer, take it to the car wash. That's where I took mine.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

If you get water in the disty, do not fear...WD-40 is here! One shot of WD-40 to the disty after cap removal, and it WILL start.:sunny:
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

i did have fun proving how well my festi would do goin off road lol it was a good party before leaving to basic. -Daniel
                          1991 stiva.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_cogar View Post
                            i did have fun proving how well my festi would do goin off road lol it was a good party before leaving to basic. -Daniel
                            Lmfao bro I know, you left me the mess to clean up.

Comment

Better late then never I guess. Well here is the after pics. I half A$$ed the engine simply because it is coming out some time, when I get a B8 computer.

A bottle of royal purple and a friends pressure washer.

Comment

Working...
                              X