My brothers poor fester.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brothers poor fester.

Me and my brother spent all day getting his B8 swapped festiva ready for a daily driver. We gave it a complete tune up, new brakes, new rotors and drums. We finally got the engine tuned pretty good, even worked on it in the dark.

Once finished me and him got alittle excited and desided to take it out for a spin to get the new brakes broke in. We pulled up to a 4 way and the car was sounding great. Made a right and started up the hill rolling about 75 in 4th gear (festy tranny) then shifted to 5th and everything was fine. Got to the road we were turning in on and to our surprise all the gears were completly gone. Tried 1st through 5th and nothing, reverse is even gone. I believe we have learned our lesson about using festy trannys with a B8. Totally grenaded the tranny lol.

Luckily we have a spare f-series tranny that he is going to rebuild tomorrow at school. Freaking sucks especially after all the wrench time me and him both have into fester.

Messed up part was the tranny didnt even make a noise, it just plain out gave up. Funny how the tranny went before the clutch.

I guess we learn from our mistakes.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Sounds like you have another problem with the tranny.
    Oscar

Comment

Are you sure the tranny is toast? A similar thing happened to me and it turned out that the shift linkage had come loose after losing one of the bolts. I hope that it something really easy to fix.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

You can feel the gears but the tranny makes a whining noise when you let out on the clutch, and the car doesnt even try to move. We though maybe the clutch messed up but everything feels ok in the pedal, its just when you put it in 1st, let out on the clutch it just sits there and whines. No movement at all. You can sit there and run it through all gears without having to push the clutch. I figured that was enough to verify that the tranny is shot.
        Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

All the gears in the tranny wouldn't go out at the same time...linkage troulbles?
          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            I believe we have learned our lesson about using festy trannys with a B8. Totally grenaded the tranny lol.

Luckily we have a spare f-series tranny that he is going to rebuild tomorrow at school. Freaking sucks especially after all the wrench time me and him both have into fester.

Messed up part was the tranny didnt even make a noise, it just plain out gave up. Funny how the tranny went before the clutch.

I guess we learn from our mistakes.
            Well guess I better start looking for another tranny for my BP swap!
            The last 25,000 miles must have been pure luck!
            Hope I make it home with this festiva tranny tonight, thanks for the heads up!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

on the bright side fester still is going to get a brand new windshield today at 10:00 ..... I'm just not going to be able to drive it, "sitting thinking maybe ill get a fan and position it at the drivers window point it at me .... then slowly turn the key and rev the engine and look out my new windshield as i pretend im driving with the breeze blowing through my hair" lol getting ready to tear this f series apart in a few minutes. have a good day -Daniel
              1991 stiva.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
                All the gears in the tranny wouldn't go out at the same time...linkage troulbles?
                Car ran fine for about 3 months so I doubt there is linkage problems. Like I said you can feel the gears there just isnt anything there, no grinds or anything. I think its totally possible for all the gears to go at one time especially is the differencial blew, meaning ya there is gears but no power to the wheels.

Comment

Guys are installing the new windshield now but before they showed up I went out and checked the linkage and the bolt is tight. I fired it up, let it warm up and put it into 1st gear. I let out on the clutch and the car didnt attempt to move but the speedo did run up to 25mph. There is also a really bad clankity clank noise comming from the differencial area. Daniel my bro, I believe either a axel popped out or the differencial is shot. Either way a F-series will be dropped in im sure. Im gonna throw a jack under it and inspect the axles. I know we had one axle (passengers side) that didnt like to snap into place. Good possibility there.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                    Guys are installing the new windshield now but before they showed up I went out and checked the linkage and the bolt is tight. I fired it up, let it warm up and put it into 1st gear. I let out on the clutch and the car didnt attempt to move but the speedo did run up to 25mph. There is also a really bad clankity clank noise comming from the differencial area. Daniel my bro, I believe either a axel popped out or the differencial is shot. Either way a F-series will be dropped in im sure. Im gonna throw a jack under it and inspect the axles. I know we had one axle (passengers side) that didnt like to snap into place. Good possibility there.

alright man, im tearing into the f series now to figure out why there is no reverse, if anyone has a microfinch of the transmission gears i could use it pretty good right now -thanks-Daniel
                    1991 stiva.

Comment

Well jacked the fester up just a few mins ago and found the problem. There is a gaping hole in the side of the tranny...... haha not really. Jacked it up and the passengers side axle pulled out. Here is a couple pics.

and another

I guess where we didnt grind the bellhousing down enough, it wouldnt let the axle go in all the way.

Comment

By the looks of it bro, we need to get a new axle.

Comment

Glad to hear its just an axle not the whole trans! I ran a BP with a Festiva trans for about 30k (trans had 170k on it when the BP went in) then the same BP in another festiva with stock trans that had about 190k on it for 10k before I sold the motor. As long as you don't have a performance clutch it allows the clutch to take up a little of the harshness, yeah it slips a little when you're hard on it, but at least you don't lose a trans over it
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Funny that you say that because it has a exedy performance clutch in lol. It just so happened that the tranny that was in the car when the b3 was in it had a brand spankin new exedy clutch. I think once daniel gets home from school that he is going to tear it all back apart and grind down the bellhousing alittle more so the axle will fit snug. I wish I could help but I got to go and start this new job. Yo daniel when you read this, post up pictures. I wanna see exactly what you had to go through.

Im debuting on dropping my B8 in with a stock festy 4 speed. Do you guys think it would hold up especially if it was to get beat on here and there?

Comment

Working...
                            X