Coilover question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover question..

Are these coilover weight rating to much for a festy? I have a set and they are pretty much universal I just dont want to install them and get my guts beat out. 3" drop would look kool.

89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Dont quote me but i believe anything about 350 and 300 is ok, dont quote me, saw it in another post.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Yes, that's far too low and far too oversprung. The only way those springs would work would either be for a race car or someone with some serious dampening on their car.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Ok i wasnt sure, I just had them from a past vehical.

Comment

Well like... you can put them on, but I can guarantee a few things:

1) At 3" of lowering, you'll probably bottom out with anything more than a single passenger.
          2) The springs will destroy your kidneys and spine on any roadway less than pristine.
          3) The life of your shocks will be practically eliminated, especially if they are OEM.
          4) The combination of being oversprung/underdampened will harm your handling more than it would help.

It would be best to buy yourself a new set of springs to fit the old adjustable sleeves and hardware... that'd be my recommendation. Check the coilover how-to thread for information and details on that one!

On stock shocks, the highest springrates I would pursue would be 200/150 10" set of springs, though 8" would work too. This would be still oversprung for OEM shocks as well as Festiva GR-2's. I'm going with 175/150 8" springs for my KYB's. Most tend to go with 150/125 10" or 8" in the rear for further tucking. Have a look around the forum for information. Most people who go "heavier" than that are either running full coilovers, primarilly race/autocross their car, or just really hate body roll, etc.

See my build thread for an example. I have an Altima coilover set that is rated at 500lbs/in front and 400lbs/in rear. AKA it requires 500lbs of weight/force to compress them an inch. If a fully-loaded Festiva is roughly 1900LBS, you can see that the car is only going to compress those springs an inch give or take. When you have proper ratings, your shocks, bushings, bars, and chassis can perform as they are supposed to.

If you're still gung-ho on the heavy springs, get some super beefy MK3 Jetta/Golf shocks for them.
          Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

It was just a question, im not gung ho about them. How about stock festy springs and the coilover hardware? Stock festy spring fit the coilover nicely.

Comment

Working...
            X