No announcement yet.

Household CO detector cum Festiva use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Household CO detector cum Festiva use?

I've a surplus wall mounted carbon monoxide(CO) detector which uses a wall-wart converter to 12 volts; I'd considered putting in "The FestivaL Car," at least since getting an exhaust leak suddenly; that was so overpowering within a few hundred miles I had to have the whole exhaust replaced prior to driving on during a road trip to the bay area from northern Humboldt.

I wonder how well such a device might work sensing atmospheric deadliness in the car: Either malfunctioning of the car itself, or from the general conditions on the road?*

Several years ago Dr. Bruce Berkowsky, Ph.D. whom I'd been assisting than, a macrobiotic nutritionist; had me read an amazing book about drinking due to environmental pollution: Which said the majority of heavy drinking is due to a quite compulsive need to flush the liver of toxicity from air-borne hydrocarbons; profusely typical of almost any industrial application, vehicle exhaust when petrochemical powered or any similar fuel, as well as almost all manufacturing and/or trade processes also, including any variety of detergents too whose fumes reach one.

One friend who'd had his own four stall shop for doing body and fender work, who'd always pound a couple beers between the kitchen and the back yard prior to using his spray booth; told me most if not everyone used to working with such a toxic environment has this as part of their habitual awareness. Mostly due to the anti-social aspects prevailing so often the effects are absurdly evident nearly universally.

In my own experience, depending upon the so to speak "volatility" one may subscribe for instance to JIM BEAM if conscientiously applying themselves in a residential situation, and more or less intensive spirits otherwise, depending.** The same exact function also causes cirrhosis of the liver eventually: Where the effects are dramatic to say the least, from a nearly or actually choking sensation, to suddenly a vast relief and capability to prosecute one's chosen events.

*Called the SAFE-T-ALERT, whose alarm goes off after reaching 150 pm within 50 minutes; this is supposed to be returned for service to MTI Industries, 31632 N. Ellis Dr #301, Volo, IL 60073; and is a model 60-511, stamped March 27, 2000.

There is a green LED signaling the unit is on, a flashing red LED display for low CO levels, and a solid red LED for high level CO contamination. The instructions say to test the device weekly, done by depressing a switch on the front which I'd rarely done. Installed as part of requisite low-income weatherizing done by a local agency in Eureka.

**Typically the habit is one sometimes occasioned by annoyance at using breath protection, commonly fouling communication not to mention the discomfort of those devices or even prophylactic regimens associated with such work. One friend Dan "Blink" Blincow doing floors had a fine old floor sanding machine, greatly advantageous since double the weight of any currently made; his father died using suffering emphysema finishing wooden floors.

Despite knowledge of and severe annoyance at his father's way of life and ultimate demise; my friend had, though a skilled practitioner at the use of breath protection; where this fundamentally involved significant others as several protagonists advocating use of breathing protection: Had found in actual work conditions he'd preferred the less attractive seeming alternatives; including though hardly limited to alcohol consumption, as well as a myriad of other life's surliest "condiments."

Someone heavily also involved in behalf of organized labor's fights with management; on various and sundry levels including the Olympia, WA "Latin-jazz-funk; world music-r&b" eight member band OBRADOR: Blink had been their "band boy" as sort of an euphemistic reference to his socializing skills as a person habitually plowed, yet with furrows far and wide along the straightest narrows. Always seen standing, at the rear of any venue, place or scene; the enveloping, caressing rhythms keeping him swaying musically at the peripheries of conscious flight.
    Last edited by bobstad; 09-09-2010, 04:22 PM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Would this thing go off constantly?

Sorry no one seemed to find this interesting? I'd hoped someone might have an idea as to the practicality of using such a device meant for an apartment; to sense CO(carbon monoxide) in my car, either as a general monitor of ambient air conditions in the environment, or specifically if the car itself was having problems.

I'd been especially conscious myself of frequent CO exposure and toxicity the summers of '95 & '96 in the east bay, both riding my bike around Berkeley close to heavy traffic or in a vehicle similarly; either around town or on the freeways.

This was following a frustrating episode trying to glue some closed cell sleeping bag ground pads into my '75 Chevy panel van's interior walls for insulation; when unable using the initial contact cement adhesive taking three days to cure to keep out of the sun that long, thus having to scrape off all the old glue and re-glue with a quicker drying spray.

I must've been pretty loaded with toxicity breathing fumes from that, so was hypersensitive and found myself drinking whenever I'd be inundated for any length of time with environmental pollution too intense. Just thinking of driving during a hot afternoon's rush hour on the east bay freeway north of the Gilman exit, even now makes me feel ill.

Many a comrade has also shown drinking symptoms similarly; where quite a few people go through the trails quite conscious of the adversaries, too! Obviously not an issue popular to explore from the plutocracy's point of view in an industrialized, capitalist economy, either; since vastly pervasive with the cure profoundly expensive and habit altering as well.
    Last edited by bobstad; 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I can never understand your posts.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
        I can never understand your posts.
        learn the english language and it's propper syntax and magicaly, his posts are now understandable!!! amazing!

anyway, Bob, there's too much air flow in the cabin for the alarm to do any good... you'll notice something wrong before it does (yes i know CO is an odorless gas, but if you're getting concentrations high enough to do damage, you'll also notice the other gases that come along with high CO levels.)
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          learn the english language and it's propper syntax and magicaly, his posts are now understandable!!! amazing!

anyway, Bob, there's too much air flow in the cabin for the alarm to do any good... you'll notice something wrong before it does (yes i know CO is an odorless gas, but if you're getting concentrations high enough to do damage, you'll also notice the other gases that come along with high CO levels.)
          Funny you say that because obviously you don't know how to punctuate or spell.

Comment

ok. it's 11:30 at night; i'm tired, and my punctuation is still propper. get off it.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Well don't put people on the spot and maybe you won't be put on the spot. I like how we live on the same coast but for some odd reason your 8:06 am posting is actually 11:00 pm the night before, anyways your punctuation still isn't correct. Im off it!
              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-11-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Phew, who cut the cheese?!!

...there's too much air flow in the cabin for the alarm to do any good... you'll notice something wrong before it does
                I'm thinking of wiring the apartment CO detector to use in the cigarette lighter, then mounting the thing to a small chunk of wood with strong magnets on the back, to put outside the car when parked. If the alarm goes off after sitting on the street awhile, this would really be indicative of some heavy local environmental pollution, no?

I wonder if some of the places I've been, like on University Avenue between San Pablo and the freeway at times of heavy traffic, which is almost all day long until after seven in the evening from ten in the morning; if there is enough pollution in the air to set off the alarm?

Comment

I just want to say. I VERY HIGHLY doubt there's any relation between high toxicity levels in the air and the need to drink.

That's just plain ridiculous.

I agree, the device wouldn't effectively work in the car, nor outside. Try it if you want, you said it's a simple wiring job.
                  -Zack
                  Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Not exactly the universal solvent, but more than social flux.

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                    I just want to say. I VERY HIGHLY doubt there's any relation between high toxicity levels in the air and the need to drink.

That's just plain ridiculous.
                    Just how HIGH are you when you doubt?

I've read one medical text wholly devoted to the subject, and also have not only my own experience, but that of friends deeply interested and conscious due to their livelihoods in the industrial trades mostly; all of which makes me absolutely convinced there is a definite correlation.

The same exact thing drinking, which eventually destroys the liver of a very heavy drinker, the disease known as "cirrhosis of the liver" is the phenomena which also flushes toxins out of the liver; from air-borne hydrocarbons for instance, but also any variety of other toxic substances which have been collected there.

A person only has to reflect upon for instance the popularity of boozing in certain social circles where many or most are also trades people or those in other ways often enough involved in a toxic enough environment. Many at this website, for instance? Or those VW meets where they always mount a motor on a pedestal with the throttle wide open, to time how long before the motor explodes...

You are welcome to your opinion for whatever reasons; but, I'm right.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                      I like how we live on the same coast but for some odd reason your 8:06 am posting is actually 11:00 pm the night before.
                      i was refering to the time of the original post... but now you've got me curious. where, in either of my posts, is the punctuation incorrect?

Comment

In a manner of roughly speaking...

On humans the lung's alveoli correspond to a car's air-cleaner, the liver to the oil filter, and the intestinal lining to the fuel filter.

Comment

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
                          You're incredible. I can see how much you want to be flamed by just POSTING, but you're over the line with this one.
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

messaging the messagage...

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                            You're incredible. I can see how much you want to be flamed by just POSTING, but you're over the line with this one.
                            Well, one's life's work; being what that is of course...which impinges adamantly, a person has this sort of an...I hayt to say "attidute" buttt, thyat sorat tang!!!@

YouHaul kkknow whatt an tude may be, no? let along ta "tang" ting?

Comment

I would agree with that. May as well try it though since it seems a simple enough job.

I've read one medical text wholly devoted to the subject, and also have not only my own experience, but that of friends deeply interested and conscious due to their livelihoods in the industrial trades mostly; all of which makes me absolutely convinced there is a definite correlation.
                              I would have to disagree with this and, no offense Bob, it is a bit arrogant to say "I'm right" when it's just an opinion and not scientific fact. I would like to see the medical texts on this. It also appears you are correlating a condition with a cause that does not exist.

Pittsburgh, during the height of the industrial revolution, and well into the 1970's, was known as the Smoky City, due to it's high concentration of steel mills and associated businesses. Earlier in the 20th century, it was very common, due to the ultra-high pollution, for the street lamps to come on in the middle of a sunny day because the pollution literally blocked out the sun.

In 1868, a writer called Pittsburgh "hell with the lid taken off". Pittsburgh at that time was nearly always dark because of the soot etc in the air.

Being a resident of the 'Burgh for 45 of my 47 1/2 years, I can tell you that all of us here certainly would know if heavy pollution caused drinking.

A person only has to reflect upon for instance the popularity of boozing in certain social circles where many or most are also trades people or those in other ways often enough involved in a toxic enough environment. .....Or those VW meets where they always mount a motor on a pedestal with the throttle wide open, to time how long before the motor explodes...
                              Again, If this were true, Pittsburgh would have the highest concentration of drinkers in the known galaxy (at least back when there WAS bad pollution here), and while there is drinking here of course, it's no more popular here than in any other major city. I would posit that a more cogent theory is stress - people with low stress jobs may drink less than those with high stress lifestyles, etc.

As for those VW meets; of COURSE engine-blow contests make people drink! What better way to watch a flat-four VW engine blow up than with the company of a few friends and some cold beer??
                              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                              Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                              X