323 Pulling Hard To the Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 323 Pulling Hard To the Right

My girlfriend's 1990 Mazda 323 pulls hard to the right.

I don't know what the deal is, but occasionally the wheel sits straight and the car goes straight ahead! The acceleration is better as well when the wheel is straight, but randomly, it goes back to pulling hard to the right.

It's been doing this in some form or another since she got the car. I did all of the brakes thinking one was dragging, but it's still pulling. Wondering if anyone has some insight.

I would think it's an alignment issue if it weren't for it behaving correctly once in a blue moon.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

I should mention it has power steering. It assists when turning both ways, but I do circles in a big parking lot when I let go of the wheel!
    -Zack

Comment

have your alignment checked, you should have a bit of toe IN and i suspect you have quite a bit of toe OUT.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

After doing a lot of research, it makes sense why it's pulling now and why sometimes it's alright.

Her driver's side strut mount is BAD. It's so bad that it sits out of center and off to the side and (now I know) creates a negative camber. That's why it's pulling to the right. Whenever I have the jack out, I recenter the mount, but never thought that's what was making the wheel straight again.

Now that I think of it, it makes sense. I recentered it a few weeks ago when I installed auxilliary lights and needed the jack to get under there. A few days and bumps later, back to crooked wheeling.

Before I replace it, anything I should know? I know I'll need a spring compression kit. I've done one in shop class, but that was years ago now, haha.
        -Zack

Comment

for all intensive purposes camber wont make a car pull, castor is more of a leading factor. that being said with a bad strut mount it could also throw off your castor causing it to pull.

havent ever changed a strut bearing in these cars but i dont know if you will need a spring compressor since the strut mounts to the bearing and the bearing mounts to the chassis, its not actually part of the strut assembly.
          Automotive Misfit

Comment

Keep in mind this is on a 323. I should've mentioned I already replaced the offending strut mount and it's bearing. I guess I tightened the strut's nut down too far so it sheared the rubber of the mount straight away from the metal of the mount. I'll have to redo it and only snug that nut.

The bearing was just a flat little piece that went under the mount. I did need a spring compressor for all of this.

Castor makes sense, too. One of the sites I was just reading mentioned that if the camber is off from side to side, the car will pull to the positive camber side. Left - negative camber, Right - normal, more positive camber = pulling to the right.
            Last edited by crazyrog17; 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM.
            -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by wflaw45 View Post
              for all intensive purposes camber wont make a car pull, castor is more of a leading factor. that being said with a bad strut mount it could also throw off your castor causing it to pull.

havent ever changed a strut bearing in these cars but i dont know if you will need a spring compressor since the strut mounts to the bearing and the bearing mounts to the chassis, its not actually part of the strut assembly.
              ummm really? camber can and does make a car pull (to which ever side is most positive). caster won't cause a pull unless under load. remember that caster is the measurement of the axiel angle of the knuckle and doesn't affect the tire when going straight. i need pix to describe better, but the point is caster won't affect the car's willingness to go straight as much as camber or toe.

ok i just thought of an illustration for you... take a tire and rim, stand it straight up and roll it away from you. if the tire is true, it will roll straight. that's like havving 0* toe and 0* camber. now take the tire again and lean it to one side just a bit and roll it again, now it wants to fall over after rolling in the direction the top was leaned in. that's like having 0* toe and 2* camber (positive or negative, doesn't matter). now if you have one tire leaned into the car and one leaned away, it will want to pull in the direction that they are leaned. hope this makes sense.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

note to self: no more posting right as you wake up from a nap!

re-read my post. had my terms mixed up. took a steering and suspension class last semester and gained a good amout of knowledge compared to what i knew. (new to these small cars, used to building lifted trucks) thanks for the correction
                Automotive Misfit

Comment

hey, i know how it is man, no prob.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    hey, i know how it is man, no prob.
                    WHERE WERE YOU TODAY.....sheeeesh!!!!
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

didn't you talk to you're daughter? i didnt know i had today off in time to do anything about it. sorry willie.

OH BTW, were YOU there? and if so, how are you feeling after the trip?

Comment

my mom has the same car

Comment

Funny, I haven't seen but two others around here. I don't see Festivas very much either, haha.
                          -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            didn't you talk to you're daughter? i didnt know i had today off in time to do anything about it. sorry willie.

OH BTW, were YOU there? and if so, how are you feeling after the trip?
                            LOL...yes I was there.....was tired when I got home. Was the longest outing I had to date since the operation. But it was a VERY nice day and it felt good to get out.
                            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            There ain't no rest for the wicked
                            until we close our eyes for good.
                            I will sleep when I die!
                            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

so back on subject... get you're alignment checked?

Comment

Working...
                              X