Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything special need done to store a car for 6-8 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything special need done to store a car for 6-8 months?

Hey guys, not having much luck finding a home for Marvin so I'm considering storing him until next spring when I can come back and trailer him up there with me. Maybe turn him into a project car and give him all the spiffing up and customizing he deserves. So I'm looking at probably 6-8 months (maybe a little more depending on how soon full Spring hits up there) of storage. Likely I'll just tarp him up tight and leave him with a friend for that time. Do I need to do anything special for that amount of time? Will I need to drain his gas tank and oil and such? I figure I should probably disconnect the battery. Anything else beyond that?

Thanks!
    Kitty
    :cat:
    Proud former owner of a shineee blue '93 Festiva L. Marvin will be missed.

Fill the gas tank and put fuel stabilizer in it, or drain the tank, either one,
    Change the oil and filter.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I was going to say the same thing as Tom....but also...if you can get it off the tires.....like up on jack stands...I would.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Also if your going to store it in a place that has outlets I'd say get a battery tender for it. Their only a few bucks at Harbor Freights.
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Definitely, FILL THE TANK with fuel. That displaces air, which holds moisture, which condenses on the tank walls and leads to corrosion (rust). Small airplanes fill up after the last flight of the day for the same reason, but also for an additional reason -- the moisture will fall to the bottom of the tank and get into the fuel lines, which could lead to an "Aw, crap" moment right after takoff as the engine gulps water.

Also, put a block of wood under each wiper arm to take the pressure off the wiper blades so they don't take a "set." Ever since I started doing this on Festies I'm not currently driving, my wiper blades last MUCH longer.

Some people also wire up an extension cord to a 40 watt light blub inside the car and/or under the hood. That keeps it slightly warmer, warding off condensation. It also might prevent some bozo from breaking into your car, since he thinks you're living in it! It helps to cover the car in a blue tarp, so doesn't know you're not really in there. You neighbors will appreciate this cosmetic touch.
          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

If you can't put the car on jackstands, at least fill the tires to max pressure on the sidewall; hopefully they hold air well. As an alternative to jackstands if you don't have any, put cinder blocks, boards, etc. under the car at the four jacking points, so it will only settle a couple of inches, and take the strain off a flat tire.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Seafoam in a full tank of gas.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I honestly don't do anything special when storing a car for any length of time, because chances are my cars don't sit for any longer then 6 months

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yes that's definitely a must! get Marvin off his tires asap if that's what you plan to do
                  Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                  89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                  Projects in the works:
                  84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Two years ago, I let an almost-new $25,000 360 cubic inch 4-cylinder aluminum airplane engine sit for 3 months. After that, it just wouldn't run right. We looked inside (boroscope) and saw rust everywhere. It was so bad that it cost $16,000 to have it repaired, which involved new pistons, camshaft, and valves, and honing of the cylinders (where rust still shows as stains deeply embedded into the metal, but it's considered airworthy). Fortunately, the crankshaft and the case (two halves like in old air-cooled VWs) were OK.

I try to run my not-in-service Festies every few weeks for a half-hour to get them up to operating temp and bake some of the moisture out. I also run the heater and the a/c for a bit. If I have time, I drive them up a hill and ride the brakes down to have the shoes/pads take the rust off the drums and rotors. Ground-up shoes and pads are easier/cheaper to replace than drums and rotors.
                    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

also while you're at it, hose down all the nooks and crannies of your car's undersides with PB Blaster. it will work on all the rust and prevents NEW rust while it sits so that when you're ready, things come apart much easier.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                      X