26-30 mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26-30 mpg

I have a 91 auto that get about 26-30 mpg. If I put some 13 or 14 on it will this help or hurt my mpg?
    Last edited by moldboy; 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM.

i say spend the money on a good tune up. I think a good running festy should get more then 30
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

depends on if you drive a lot of highway or city stop and go. Stop and go it will hurt you....long distance it will help.

You should look into why the mileage is so low. I have a 92 auto with air and running it with the air on with mixed driving I average 33-34 mpg
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have a a 90 with a 5-speed and I average 43 back and forth to work.... I drive right around a 80 mile round trip every day with probably 60 miles being highway and the other 20 or so city.
        Oh no!!! Hills, my only weakness!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastiva View Post
          I have a a 90 with a 5-speed and I average 43 back and forth to work.... I drive right around a 80 mile round trip every day with probably 60 miles being highway and the other 20 or so city.
          yup....the 5 speeds get much better mileage. But his auto seems a little low to me.

With my 5 speed I was averaging 43-45....got to get one up and running....but I do love my auto...plus it has air....makes it even better.
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
            ...plus it has air....makes it even better.
            You might not have heard, but the 5-speeds are available with air now! :lol:

But back on topic though, I agree that before you look to wheels and tires to boost MPG you need to get the car tuned up. My white auto had close to 200k on it and still got mid 30s in the city delivering pizza. Highway was about 36.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              You might not have heard, but the 5-speeds are available with air now! :lol:
              well I know that silly....this one was already installed in it. If I found a 5 speed with air I would buy it in a heart beat if I had the money. But I do not want to add it to a car....would be a pain.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

The the contacts on the inside of the distributor. If they are dirty, cleaning them might make a big difference. They should be cleaned every 5000 miles or so.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Depends on the size and skinner is better handling is better with wider though. With 155/80/13's when going 65 by the speedo actually you're going 70-73. Your gas mileage is about on par with my 90 auto. If you go by smells I think mine runs a bit rich. The only thing I haven't replaced is the o2 sensor... not going to replace anything else besides swap the 1.3 for 1.8. If driven all highway probably 35mpg is possible.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

HMMMMM............My 5 speed has air and cruise.Must be worth it's weight in gold(or something heavy)
                    Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

Speaking of tires/mileage.Has anyone ever ran 165/70-12 tires? Is there much of a speedo error?
                      Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

wish mine had cruise.... my 5speed has air...
                        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                        Projects in the works:
                        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

If your 12's are good keep running them. Bigger wheels and tires = more unsprung weight that the engine has to turn as well.

Were getting high-30's with our auto. Somethings up with yours.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I got my best mpg's with my 93 5-speed. Cai, freeflow exh and 1856014's on rx7 wheels. 80% highway driving went from consistent 42-43 to 46mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                              Depends on the size and skinner is better handling is better with wider though. With 155/80/13's when going 65 by the speedo actually you're going 70-73. Your gas mileage is about on par with my 90 auto. If you go by smells I think mine runs a bit rich. The only thing I haven't replaced is the o2 sensor... not going to replace anything else besides swap the 1.3 for 1.8. If driven all highway probably 35mpg is possible.
                              I have 155/80/13's on my car...according to my gps and driving them for at least a year now, I am off by about 3 1/2 mph. 65 = 68 - 69 mph. I have to multiply my mileage by 1.1 and then do my mpg figures. I believe my car is also running rich and I pull 33-34 mpg running the air constantly with back roads long distance driving....no freeway.
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                              X