apparently I have 87 octane in my blood lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apparently I have 87 octane in my blood lol

At lunch today my wife and I were eating with a friend of ours, and he was telling me about a problem with the "carburetor" on his 22RE Toyota pickup... This is one of the older body style ones that actually says "EFI" on the tailgate. I tried to explain politely that it doesn't have a carb and he probably had a clogged filter or his fuel pump was going out. He kept insisting that it must have a carb even though it is fuel injected because "his buddy has an old toyota that looks the same and it has a carb." I finally just shut up and quit trying to help him and he asked if I was mad. My wife looked at him and said "No he's not mad he just gets serious about cars... he has gasoline in his veins so he takes it personally." He laughed and said "what, like race gas or something?" to which my wife replied "No, its just regular 87 octane... he doesn't go fast, he just likes cars." I about rolled out of my seat laughing at that point because its true, I don't care how fast something is, I do "just like cars".
    Last edited by htchbck; 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

YOUR FRIEND SEEMS HARD HEADED.. LOL especially if his car says efi on the back
    91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

lol some people just have no clue at all.

Comment

Reminds me of people who head to Jiffy Lube for a "valve job" when they're getting their oil changed.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

lol, Well he doesn't deny that its fuel injected (in fact he's very proud of the fact that its one of the earliest years they had EFI, '85 I think). He just says that it must have a carb too lol
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That's as bad as my friend who said he had an "acura ABS "with 7 gears..
            LIVE FAST!!!!!!!DIE HARD!!!!!!!!:evil5::evil5::evil5::evil5:

Dustin Hayek

91.festy 1.8 BP DOHC AUTO.The turbo awaits!

Comment

^^ they do have seven gears, five in the trans and one in each window crank :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: unless its a four door, then it has nine cause you have to count the back windows too
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That reminds me.My friend once asked someone what their favorite car is. They replied with a "Honda Altima".
                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                14 C7 Z51

Comment

Quite a wife you have!
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                    ^^ they do have seven gears, five in the trans and one in each window crank :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: unless its a four door, then it has nine cause you have to count the back windows too
                    :laughing3: I read right over that the first time.
                    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                      Quite a wife you have!
                      X2.........sounds like your wife is good with the "one liners". I remember when my wife and I went shopping for her engagement ring. the sales clerk showed us a ring that was a very traditional & simple design; just a gold band with one diamond. The sales clerk asked if I liked it and I said, "yes, I like the simple look but she probably wants something fancier." To which she flippantly replied without even cracking a smile, "I like simple things too! I'm marrying you, aren't I?". The sales clerk didn't know whether to laugh or prepare for WWIII. Although I must admit, the spitfire attitude does make it impossible to win an argument!
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                        Although I must admit, the spitfire attitude does make it impossible to win an argument!
                        Amen to that brother! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I was working on a WWII open cockpit bi-plane the other day and happened to notice that the mixture control lever quadrant (for leaning out the fuel mixture as you go higher into thinner air) was professionally labelled (actually, molded into a casting) "Rich" on one end of its travel and "Clean" on the other end. Obviously, it should have read "Lean." I asked how this got by inspection and was told "Oh, that work was outsourced to Vietnam."

How much do you think people paid $US 0.80 per hour know about engine controls? Perhaps they thought that if you put the lever in that position, the engine magically cleans itself? That position is also sometimes marked "idle cut-off" -- you put the lever there to stop the engine.

As I looked around more, I found signs of ignorance everywhere.
                          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-17-2010, 08:16 PM.
                          88L black, dailydriver
                          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                          4 88/89 disassembled
                          91L green
                          91GL aqua pwrsteer
                          92GL red a/c reardmg
                          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                          X