I love this old Car and Driver article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love this old Car and Driver article

Just found this Car& Driver artcile on line. I remember reading the original and I think I have a copy of the magazine the article was published in.

Love it!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

that was awesome....thanks for sharing
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

A good read. Never heard of a Justy before! Looks a lot like a Festy, just a little longer haha.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I recall reading that article when it first came out!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I had a 90 Justy RS 4WD 5-speed. The size of a Festiva but 4WD! Didn't do the rear set trick tho. But you could get out of anything. I deliberately stopped the car in deep, dry sand on an Oregon beach just to see if it could get out of it. It drove off like it was asphalt. 45 MPG or thereabouts; 1.2 liter 3-cylinder.

Two warnings: the ECVT auto trans is to be avoided like my sister's mashed potatoes (that is, a lot). Also, oil pump is chain-driven and buried in the bottom of the motor; when the chain stretches, one of the crank bearings gets less oil. This is not good.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

In the Festiva test above, it says this: "Its Euro-Japanese styling is sure to impress those college coeds." Is this true?
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

This college coed thinks it looks like a miniature Ford Aerostar...

Not exactly impressive, haha. It gets the job done and it's tough as nails.
              -Zack

Comment

I always thought Festivas looked a lot like little '88 to '90 Golfs. An old friend of mine who passed away thought so too, and she wasn't into cars!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Just looked them up. To me, they look a lot more like a hatchback 323, haha.
                  -Zack

Comment

^

the brat was cool also w the seats in the back tks for the article! i had a 79 cvcc civic 5 speed man i wish i had it back! blast to drive & tough almost as tough as my festy no parts though
                    Last edited by kumalaba; 09-17-2010, 07:40 PM.
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

And to think I was ahead of the game when I bought mine a few months before this article! I love how they say it's "the perfect car" ! And they're right about the shifter; even after 22 years, my shifter feels like new.
                      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                      Mark S.

Comment

Its Euro-Japanese styling is sure to impress those college coeds.

i LOL'd

Comment

Added to my favorites! I remember the article too. Too bad we don't have cars like these nowadays. Of course the Mazda2 is close!

Comment

That was a pretty cool read! I was impressed that they ranked the Festiva up with the GTI. Thanks for sharing!!
                            www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                            www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                            Snoopy's
                            4621 Atlantic Ave
                            Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

I thought I remebered seeing that. Then I realized I own that magazine!
                              In fact I went down to a cool car store a while back that has looooots of back issues, and bought all of the festiva related ones I could find.

Post pictures here! (No inapropriate posts - children visit FF.com too!)

-Scott
                              Aqua 93 L
                              Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                              White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Working...
                              X