1998 Caviler keeps shutting off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Caviler keeps shutting off.

Ok, not to sure what is going on, but my son's 1998 Caviler keeps shutting off on him. Since I am just being told of this problem, I am not to sure as to what is going on. What I do know is that it started a few days ago, and I was not able to get off work so I had a buddy of mine go look at it, and he could not find any problem or reproduce the problem. So today my son had went to Wally World and it shut off on him again, this time he could not get it started again. I went to look at it, and the car was there but no son, so not sure what maybe the problem. Sorry I can't be of any more help right now. Do anyone have ideals as to where I should start looking? I was told when we bought the car that it had a new alternator and battery. Could it be the ignition switch going bad? Any and all sujestions would be nice.

Thanks,
    Charles

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
    '12 Ford Focus

First thoughts would be to ensure it is even cranking over. If not, check your battery cables. Corrosion on these cables can cause all kinds of problems. If it cranks, but does not start, see if it is getting spark. If it is getting spark, my next thought would be fuel. Check the fuel filter, is it dirty? If not it may have something to do with maybe a failing fuel pump. These are just some general ideas to get you started without knowing much more about the situation. Hope this helps!
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Thanks for the info, as soon as I get the car home I will check into those things and post any info that I find out.

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

go after the coils first, they are very prone to failure but they are a PITA to get to and replace (firewall side of engine below intake if it;s the 2.2)
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well, I decided to go back to his car this time with the spare key, and it was gone. He said it started right up and he's not having any problems with it right now. This is leading me towards a short some where, or maybe a ground loose some where. I will check into this as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice festyboy, is there a way to check the coils without replacing them?

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

get yourself 2 in lline spark testers (like $5 ea. at HorborFreight) and get the engine to opperating temp. then shut it down for 5 min and try to restart with the tester on each of the coils (it's easier to use two as the 2.2 has a waste spark system) observe...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X