Right car for the wrong time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right car for the wrong time?

Hey guys, just though I'd start this thread from what I was thinking a while ago...Ever noticed that some cars, either great or not, were launched at the wrong time? Post your suggestions. I'lll start with mine. Well, simply enough, the Festiva. When it came out and I was young, I can't even remember seeing one. Now that I own one, I get more noticed than in any other car I've owned (and I've got some really nice cars) and people keep telling me how cool it is and how they'd like to have one. My other choice would be the Isuzu Impulse/Asuna Sunfire; an awesome car that looked weird in its time but looked great 5-6 years later and had everything to please, but it's only getting popular now that most of them are heading for the junkyard. Share your ideas!!!
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

fiero ('nuf said)...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

pretty much any 80s-90s rwd "sports" car. the SVO is the biggest one i would think of.

Comment

Originally posted by 05zx4st View Post
        pretty much any 80s-90s rwd "sports" car. the SVO is the biggest one i would think of.
        Starion and Conquest fit in here all too well.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

i 100% have to say the rx8.. those cars get no credit.

ive driven : lotus elise, rx7, silvia blah blah blah and nothing has been easier and quicker to drive then the rx8, its just a shame that they have gotten no credit.

Comment

I agree on the fiero.Mid engine,space frame,4wheel disc,and dent resistant rust-proof body
            Last edited by microflea; 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: add text
            Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              fiero ('nuf said)...
              There is a bunch of those for sale around me, nobody wants them. The girlfriends kid has one for sale.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

SVO Mustang!! and I own one.....Excellent handling, sophisticated engine management for it's day, out run V8s with a turbo 4...
                1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

And the SVO had 17s' before they became popular.I think people are afraid of the fieros because of the mid-engine set-up.mechanics gave them a bad rap,because they were "hard" to work on.More like misunderstood.Todays engine bays are waay tighter and much more sophisticated.
                  Last edited by microflea; 09-25-2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling,as usual
                  Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

I thought the Festiva came out at the right time. I went out and got two. It was a good investment. Still have Freshtiva. Pic below The wife sold her original Festiva and bought another one with 100,000 less miles on it , Jewel , which she is still driving.

Last edited by freshtiva; 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Merkur XR4ti

Blow-thru intercooled turbo, Aero headlights and wonderful Euro-German styling and engineering from your local Lincoln/Mercury dealer. This would fit right along side the SVO Mustang.
                      I would also add the '86 Lincoln MkVII LSC, although as time progressed the MkVII started to catch on.

Not to "dis" the Fiero, but part of the problem was the initial lack of sophisticated engineering. Using the common GM FWD drivetrain assembly from a Citation was a turnoff for a lot of people. It was an image thing. Especially considering the primary market. People expected much more in terms of Performance. Once the V6 powered GT came out, it helped the image a lot. As time went on, GM really started to develop it into a true sportscar. Personally, I like Fieros. I drove a friends '88 V6 GT one summer and absolutely loved it.
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Merkur's were non-intercooled, just FYI.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                          There is a bunch of those for sale around me, nobody wants them. The girlfriends kid has one for sale.
                          I personally would love to have a fiero
                          but being me i can't afford them lol

Comment

They're super fast with the 3.8L turbo six from a later model GM sedan.
                            1963 Ford F-100
                            1992 Ford Festiva
                            2006 Audi A4
                            2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                              Merkur's were non-intercooled, just FYI.
                              Good catch....You're right, my bad!
                              I had a co-worker about 10 years ago that had an XR4ti. I remember him always talking about the intercooler on it, but the more I think about it, I seem to remember it was some kind of aftermarket kit he installed. That was probably why he made such a big deal about it.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X