Fix-a-flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix-a-flat?

So I was driving home from work and got a puncture from a small nail like item(security Sensor). Well I took it out then I hear the "hiss"Luckily I was close enough to home to get there before the tire lost all its air.

So my question is should I walk to kmart and get fix-a-flat tomorrow or what? I want to deal with this in the best way as I just bought all new tires and the hole is super small. like 14 to 16 gauge at biggest
    Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Buy a tire patch kit. It has a little tool with a T-handle and you stick in the hole and go in-n-out multiple times. You then use the other tool and stick a strip of the filler in the hole. Works great, just takes some muscle.

It's just like this one. You can find it at wal-mart.http://www.improvementdirect.com/cam...rce=amz_124943

Edit: Also when you've plugged it up put some spit on it and make sure it sealed.
    Last edited by Grey Vw; 09-26-2010, 11:01 PM.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Since the tires are new. swap on the spare,(if you got one)
      Then drive to local tire place and get them to plug/patch the hole and it should come with a warranty. If they dont offer warranty, Plug it yourself and it will be cheaper.
      93L sold. First FESTY!
      91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
      91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
      89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
      93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
      89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
      93GL Sold Too Soon!
      91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

i have worked at a few tire shops and take my word, those plugs are not the proper way of doing things.... unless you get lucky they dont seal very well and they can come out... get a proper patch put on it and you will never have a problem with it again... (if its done right...)

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          i have worked at a few tire shops and take my word, those plugs are not the proper way of doing things.... unless you get lucky they dont seal very well and they can come out... get a proper patch put on it and you will never have a problem with it again... (if its done right...)
          I've used them three times and their all holding. They aren't on little tires they are full size trucks.
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

^True. I have had good and bad experiances with plugs.
            Patches are best considering the fact the tires are new.

Here is best options in order of best.
            1. patch at shop with warranty
            2. plug at shop with warranty
            3. plug yourself=no warranty
            93L sold. First FESTY!
            91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
            91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
            89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
            93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
            89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
            93GL Sold Too Soon!
            91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Originally posted by gestiva View Post
              ^True. I have had good and bad experiances with plugs.
              Patches are best considering the fact the tires are new.

Here is best options in order of best.
              1. patch at shop with warranty
              2. plug at shop with warranty
              3. plug yourself=no warranty
              I'm naturally a cheapo so #3 plug yourself is #1 on my list
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

+1+1+1

Same here. If the tires are new take care of them.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If the tires are new, the tire shop patch seems prudent. However, I've done a few plugs myself and they all seemed to be adequate.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

plugs work great as long as the hole is way smaller than the plug to begin with, if done right it will be like new. never had an issue with plugs

Comment

If the puncture is in the sidewall, plugs will not work. They work themselves out every time.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

The way I think about it... tires are the only thing between you and the road.

Get it patched at a tire shop. $20? If that? Please.
                        -Zack
                        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Was $5-10 per patch where I used to work.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

even better.

patch goes on the inside, correct?

plug, i assume, goes straight through the tread of the tire.
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

the sticky plugs are ok to get you off the side of the highway or till payday, but they are not intended for long term use. spend the $20-30 and get it patched at a shop. never every use fix-a-flat..... most of the time it doesnt work and its horrible to clean out when you finally decide to fix it right. i usually charged extra to clean the nasty stuff out.
                              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
                              X