Noise reduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perucho View Post
    I would bet it's your rear bearings. Mine did the same thing. I did a complete Aspire brake swap and installed new wheels/tires at the same time. I thought it was noisy tire tread but it was just too loud. Replaced the rear bearings with Timken's and the noise was gone!
    Ya I seen the timkens at autozone but cheaped out on the duralast ones. The timkens were 13 bucks more I think.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

If everything else fails:

Noise cancelling headphones
      Oscar

Comment

its more likely than not related to the tire tread you have on your wheels
        Governess - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter

Governess - A teacher, an instructor, a woman entrusted with the care and supervision of the children in our little playground/club!

93 Red "auto" B6, Korean taillights, spoiler, aspire brakes, rims
        91 Red "sticky" B6, FMS euro kit, Genie header, Power steering, mazda 121 grill & lights, power mirrors, euro taillights, Spoiler,maplight upgrade, rims, tach cluster, dash clock...

Comment

Didn't do it when I had the mo mo rims and same tires on my truckstiva... best bet its time to change out those wheel bearings or at least re pack those things for now.... and I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that another member had the exact tire and it made no nose? I'm pretty sleepy so lol
          1991 stiva.

Comment

If it is the tires, you should be able to tell by looking at them. If the tread is wore even and not cupped or feathered, they shouldn't make much noise at all. If they are, then you need to replace some suspension components anyway.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Well replaced everything besides the rear bearings and the struts. Got everything like LCA's, tie rod ends, calipers, and front wheel bearings replaced and now the sound went from a hum to a grumble. I checked the tread ware and its nice and smooth on all four tires. The fronts have minor ware on the outter edges due to bad alignment but that will be fixed Thursday along with tire balancing. I guess its possible that the rear bearings could be doing this. I'm getting those replaced Thursday too.

I so need to roll my fenders now that my handling is good. The front tires rub like crazy. I was gonna roll them today but ran out of day light.

I was right about the protege calipers. For some odd reason my brake system wasn't enough to run them or there was something wrong with them. They were real spongy but now the pedal is hard and the car stops on a dime. It stops so hard that the front tires rub lmao.

Just alittle update. I did check out that sound proofing sheet stuff. Autozone has it for $16.00 for a 3x3 piece. What a rip IMO.

Comment

Yeah a $1.50 a sq ft to quiet up your car is alot. But I couldn't see u using more than three sheets.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I believe I might have found my grumble problem. Now that I actually have brakes now, i'm almost certain that my rotors are warped. At 5mph the grumble comes and goes but at higher speeds the grumble noise is a constant. Before my brakes were fixed I think it was just a hum because my pads wasn't really even close or touching to the rotor.

There is also a constant vibration around 50 to 55 mph and goes away around 65 mph.
                  I guess this would be a good time to invest in some cross drilled rotors eh?

Comment

I bought some soundproofing off ebay for like 40 bucks that is 25 square feet roll. I'm sure that would be plenty lol

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post

More like an aspire swap.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        More like an aspire swap.
                        More like I have already done the aspire swap lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                          I believe I might have found my grumble problem. Now that I actually have brakes now, i'm almost certain that my rotors are warped. At 5mph the grumble comes and goes but at higher speeds the grumble noise is a constant. Before my brakes were fixed I think it was just a hum because my pads wasn't really even close or touching to the rotor.

There is also a constant vibration around 50 to 55 mph and goes away around 65 mph.
                          If the rotors were warped, you would feel it worse when you are breaking. What you need to do is check if the tires are out of round and have them balanced (not at a cheap place).
                          Oscar

Comment

I guess ill try that then.

Comment

Working...
                            X