Different tread depths on same axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different tread depths on same axle

I'm in the process of installing some different tires & rims on my F250 (2WD). I got (4) used P255/70R-16 General Grabber AW tires for free.
    3 of them have about .200" (50%) of tread depth and the fourth is bald. I bought a matching tire at a used tire place that has about .350" (95%) of tread left.

Do you guys think if I put the newer tire on the right rear (for traction) it will hurt the differential or cause excessive wear on the spider gears?
    I did the math, and at 60MPH we're talking a difference of about 6.5 RPM, which is about 1 revolution every 9 seconds. Is that enough to hurt it?

My only options are to put it on the front :sad:
    OR........................
    Put it on the right rear and do burnouts until it matches the others :iconbiggrin:
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 09-28-2010, 08:54 PM. Reason: added comment
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

I wouldn't worry about it. Take your finger and make a small circle on your desk, but take 9 seconds to do it. Now imagine that circle being done in an oil filled environment. You're not going to hurt the spider gears.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I like that, Festy46. Good example.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

i agree that it will not hurt anytning at all.

Comment

Do a few burnouts to even it out a bit anyway.

Good excuse for them, eh?

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The rear gears have "slip". Otherwise you would not be able to turn a corner without "chirping", the outside tire on a turn. Not to worry at all. You could run 15 inch on one side and 16 inch opposite side and it still be ok.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I pretty much agree with all of you, I just wanted to run it by everyone to see what you thought. It is an "open" differential (critical info I left out), so it shouldn't be an issue. Basically, thats what happens anyway when you spin one wheel on ice or doing a burnout, except at a much slower rate. If anything, the better tire on the RH side will get more traction than the other side and help split the power more evenly. I used to be able to get an open differential to burn both rears like a posi just by installing old school traction bars and adjusting the RH side closer to the leaf spring than the LH side.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

You want to run even tires up front in case you brake real hard. I would put the "newer" tire on the Left rear. No real good explaination for it.

-Kirk

Comment

Don't know what year F-250 you are talking about, but I feel pretty confident you will not damage anything by having one rear tire with slightly better tread. I've had two F-250s, an 89 and a 91, and I'm pretty sure if all the hell I put those things through didn't destroy the rear end, slightly different tire sizes are not going to cause you any problems.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                    Don't know what year F-250 you are talking about, but I feel pretty confident you will not damage anything by having one rear tire with slightly better tread. I've had two F-250s, an 89 and a 91, and I'm pretty sure if all the hell I put those things through didn't destroy the rear end, slightly different tire sizes are not going to cause you any problems.
                    It's a '97 F250HD, but the rear axles are pretty much all the same. Mine has the bigger full floating one since it is rated over 8600GVW. As long as I don't have a Traction-Loc (which I don't) I don't think its a big deal.
                    Sometimes I over-think things....then I get paranoid. Lord knows I've owned plenty of cars with 3 near-new tires and 1 completely bald tire on the Right rear!
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X