• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
    Much!
    Only when they see the festy towing the oft broke down GN

Comment

I may have a line on a lower mileage wrecked 92 Protege, 5 speed. Is that a could candidate for a B8 swap into a '90 5-speed?

Comment

Followup...I talked to the guy with the Protege. Running car, 120K, hit a deer, so the front quarter is a bit mashed. I can get the whole car for a few hundred or just yank the engine/ECM for less (salvage weight price). Is there anything else on the Protege that would be of use that would make it worth just getting the whole car?

Comment

Originally posted by robertmee View Post
          Followup...I talked to the guy with the Protege. Running car, 120K, hit a deer, so the front quarter is a bit mashed. I can get the whole car for a few hundred or just yank the engine/ECM for less (salvage weight price). Is there anything else on the Protege that would be of use that would make it worth just getting the whole car?
          Possibly front brakes? Don't know if such a brake swap has been done, but I would bet it's doable. Check and see what the wheel bolt pattern is. If it's a 5-speed, I'd look at grabbing the tranny too, for now or future use. Probably an F-series. You can also use the 140 MPH speedo in the stock Festy cluster, with some work, as long as it's not an electronic one (i.e. there should be a speedo cable on the back of the speedo).
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

B8 is the same swap I'm working on.....slowly! Get the seats from the protege if you like them and they're in good condition. They aren't a direct bolt in, but could go in with a little work
            "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome....

Isn't the B8ME a basic swap in too, with the exception of redrilling the passenger side mount? I get a little confused between all the various swaps.

Is there a basic summary of the various swaps available and whether they are for the beginner or expert?

Let's see...

B6 - drop in?
              B8ME - drop in, modify one motor mount, TPS/injector harness rewiring
              B6T - lot's o work
              BP - firewall mods?

Assume straight 5-speed, EFI....no auto or carb switchovers.
              When I did my B6 swap I had to use the B3 dizzy and wire the B6 injectors into the B3 harness. You'll also have to use the B3 flywheel on the B6, and replace the B3 ECU with the ECU from the B6. Otherwise it is a direct bolt-in.
              Chuck
              Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
              If money will fix it, it's not broken
              91 GL -Ol' Rusty
              93 GL - Lil Red
              91 L - Tweetystiva
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

There is also the route of changing all the fluids & filters, checking the belts, hoses, brake pads / shoes, and driving it.

Festivas are very long lived trouble free cars, fairly easy to work on, nicely designed and built. With one or two aboard, quite zippy to drive.

If your son hasn't been rolling around under the Buick with you because he wants to, he is not likely to be rolling around under the Festiva.

Paul, a 71 year old geezer who has been doing an engine, transmission, front suspension & brakes, wiring harness, swap for half the summer.
                Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
                Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
                Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
                White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Originally posted by Paul39 View Post

If your son hasn't been rolling around under the Buick with you because he wants to, he is not likely to be rolling around under the Festiva.
                  Well that may be true....He does ask if he can help from time to time on the Buick because he likes to ride in it. I'm hoping that he'll be more interested in the festiva because it is his and he will have to be more interested out of necessity if he wants to keep it running and have a 'cool' car at school. If I have to work on it by myself, then I'll be driving it by MYSELF

Comment

Just a quick update:

Went Sunday and now I'm a proud new Festiva owner :-)

Car is a '90 with 284K miles but it was a one owner car and well taken care of. We put it up on the rack and I couldn't believe the solidness of the everything underneath. No wear, no movement in the front suspension...Solid as a rock. And best of all, NO rust except for some surface rust on the back supports underneath.

Non AC/ bare bone car white/ with grey bumpers and black molding. 5-Speed. Everything works including factory radio, defrost, etc. I drove it home 60 miles and it runs smooth with no engine noise, no shimmy's, nothing. Love the sight lines....Feels like driving in a convertible

Anyway, kid really thought it was cool, but I liked it so much I might have to keep it

I'll post pictures later this week, heading out of town today. Going Thursday to pickup a wrecked 92 protege for engine swap.

Comment

Congratulations! We will have to have a get together and check out your new ride.
                      1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
                      1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
                      Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
                      website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

That'd be great! Gonna need some help I'm sure on the B8 swap.

Comment

That'd be great! Gonna need some help I'm sure on the B8 swap.
                          Pics pics pics!!!

I don't know how much help I can be, but I sure would love to see what all is involved first had, as I am cogitating the same swap after my madness discussion with PU241...
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

No problem. Im still on tap to grab the protege tomorrow. Ill probably keep the car in Bracey at my lake house. I have a place on gaston my other hobby being fishing and boating. Any helpers I can offer waterfront lodging...course probably more attractive offer during the summer :-)

Comment

Great Buy! I would go with the engine swap right now because once you drive the Festiva, you do not want to stop long enough to do the swap, later! I find the stock brakes to be more than capable with the B3 motor and larger wheels.

Suggestions: Search the "Repair Forum" for: "rear shocks"- Problems with the lower bolt.
                              Also: Replace the rubber Fuel lines before they break open and start your engine on fire!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                                X