Favorite drives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite drives.

Maybe this should go in the Canada West section but here goes anyways.

One of my favorite summer drives is a loop starting in Calgary, heading west on the Trans Canada Highway out to Highway 40, south through Kananaskis Country, over the Highwood Pass, out to Longview and back to Calgary through either Okotoks or Bragg Creek.

There's some great "driving" stretches and some awesome elevation gain. Calgary is at about 3400ft and the Highwood is at 7300. This is all on paved roads and makes for a nice afternoon drive of about 3 or 4 hours. The first part of the movie John Q, where the woman is driving along and ends up crashing her car, is filmed on Highway 40.... if you 've seen the movie you can't help but notice the awesome scenery!

Another favorite stretch is from Longview south on Highway 22 down to the Crowsnest Pass. All two lane with lots of ups, downs and twisty bits.

Both these drives have some great mountain, front range and prairie views. If you're ever up this way either drive would be worth checking out.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Well here in Arkansas we have a mountain range called the Ozarks. Thats really fun to drive in the winter with Ice. WHEEE!!!

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Mountains of western Maine - We were there in July, and although I didn't have the Festy, to drive up a mountainside, or along a stream, with the dips and curves, windows open to enjoy the smells, a breath of fresh air (and some psychedelic Yes blaring on the stereo), that was an incredible drive. OH, but watch out for the moose!

Comment

i enjoyed hwy 65 between Nashville and Louiville, KY pretty well...also 70/71 near Cincinatti has a few good hills to climb where you can see the city pretty well. i know the route between detroit and where i live in north mississippi like the back of my hand.....oh, Ohio is booring to drive thru (sorry all u in ohio)
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40
          Well here in Arkansas we have a mountain range called the Ozarks. Thats really fun to drive in the winter with Ice. WHEEE!!!
          Psh! 300 feet of dirt and they call em mountains down here. Rockies baby, all the way. Hwy 395 from Spokane to Seattle. Don't attempt it in winter but in summer it's gorgeous.
          :cat:
          Proud former owner of a shineee blue '93 Festiva L. Marvin will be missed.

Comment

here in northern missouri right by my house is an awesome strech of road. mo-69 north of AA highway (the rest of the stretch south is boring). it's an awesome 12 mile run, beautiful scenery, smooth very curvy road. then ya hit the town of bethany for a couple of miles. after ya get through bethany though is when it gets really nice. curves and hills. lots of em. it's so much fun in a festiva to just see how fast you can take the corners. best sunday drive around here.
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Yes 69 just South of 44 all the way to 76 is nice ,I do it every year in August,
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

24 through Kansas, simply fun to cruise long and uninterrupted

and 75 from the bottom border of Ohio to just before you hit Atlanta GA (rather it hits you). Best at night and during the Fall when the air is getting crisp.
                "Nothing's gonna grieve us
                When we drive Festivas
                I could go a hundred miles an hour
                Long as I got the Almighty Power
                With my plastic Jesus
                Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

gotta go with I-70 through the Rockies. Nothing like Vail Pass (10,603 ft) and a hiway that winds along the Colorado River canyon, about 100ft above the river, and the lanes of travel are stacked on top of one another (west-bound on top). And I-70 through Utah was pretty bad-ass as well.

And, for a city drive, nothing beats the Vegas stip, at night, on your bike!
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

montana

I don't remember the roads but I was taking a road trip when i was 176 with my dad, from NY to montana, and around,

Anyways, just past Bozeman montana, if you follow the secondary roads down to yellowstone, and through debious ( I think its called that). Anwyas there is this area called wind river, or red river, or red wind river (its been awhile). Most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Also out side of bozeman, we were driving on secondary, then 3rdary :-) then it was oh (&*@#$ The road ends and the mountains go STRAIT UP, I mean strait up, mayber 5000 feet up or more:-) Love them, I dream of going back in 2008 for a road trip in festiva, would be fun.

Logan

Comment

Working...
                    X