Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

Someone near where I live put a brand new engine into his 88 Festiva. I think new half shafts as well. He wants $3500 dollars for it. It is listed on Craigslist (San Luis Obispo, California)
    So is this Festiva worth looking into to?
    kned33

91 blue Festiva GL (totaled)
    88 white Festiva L (sold)
    91 blue Festiva L (sold)

.... Probably so, if everythings is new (replaced) and the body is in reasonable shape you will most likely get 300,000 to 500,000 miles out of it, if you are like me. Unless you get tired of it and sell it first.

Originally posted by kned33 View Post
    Someone near where I live put a brand new engine into his 88 Festiva. I think new half shafts as well. He wants $3500 dollars for it. It is listed on Craigslist (San Luis Obispo, California)
    So is this Festiva worth looking into to?
    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Any Festiva is a good deal...but I have found way too many nice Festivas for less than $1000. Patience is the key to that awesome deal.
      ----------------------------------------------
      93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

Took me 3 weeks of searching and I landed the Festy for $125 and the donor Protege (B8) for 250. "Listen to the force." lol
        ----------------------------------------------
        93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

No way I would pay $3500 for a festy. A new engine doesn't add value, people on here give B3's away sometimes. Remember these cars cost about $6000 new back then. $3500 could get you a BP festiva and have $1000 left over Check out these links, you can gauge other festivas prices by looking at these.

This one is in your area I think, a little on the expensive side though. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...006858016.html

Pretty rare 74k. original miles http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...003448280.html

And this is what a $3500 festiva really looks like. http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/1999328008.html
          Last edited by Grey Vw; 10-15-2010, 10:37 PM.
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for links Grey VW. Do you like red? My wife does not want me to buy a red car of any kind. By the way the seller of the 88 festy I mentioned claims he get 55 mpg. Sound too high. Is 55 mpg possible?
            kned33

91 blue Festiva L (sold)

Comment

I got mine for $2,000 with a BP swap, and lots done to it.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for links Grey VW. Do you like red? My wife does not want me to buy a red car of any kind. By the way the seller of the 88 festy I mentioned claims he get 55 mpg. Sound too high. Is 55 mpg possible?
                I like any colored festiva lol. I think 55 is possible but some extreme hypermiling
                tactics would have to be used.
                Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                I got mine for $2,000 with a BP swap, and lots done to it.
                This is the one I was talking about, I thought he sold for $2,500. That was an awesome deal!
                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                14 C7 Z51

Comment

It is definately possible! I have gotten 51mpg on one tank, and my average is sitting at 47.8mpg. I hope to get that up to 60+ or so, when I am done my mods.......

Comment

Here's the link to the car he's talking about.

New motor, new paint, makes me mildly curious if the car had been in a wreck recently. Also wonder if new motor actually means 'brand new' or just new to the car. 3500.00 seems way high to me, but then my 2 daily drivers set me back a total of $600.00, so maybe I'm spoiled. If it was close to me, I'd probably check it out, but I'd probably keep looking. FWIW.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Well he says it gets "55 milles to a galion" and that it is "verry verry nice" so I say it's definitely worth what he's asking. I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 for a stock Festiva in good condition.
                      Oscar

Comment

Yeah, I wouldnt pay that kind of money for the Festiva! I paid $900 for mine, and it had 149,000 miles (241,000 kms), and rear brakes and bearings had just been done, as well as a couple other things....... The only things I have had to do were get 4 new tires ($31 each) and the battery terminals went bad (but I didnt realize this until the new batt and alt were installed, :pukeright::pukeleft

It would have to be MINT and ORIGINAL and have only 20,000 MILES in order to be worth over $2500 (excluding a non-stock version)

Comment

Yeah charlie you got an amazing deal I wanted that car so bad.

Comment

So where do I find a festiva with the BP swap already done? For some reason I am just drawn to festivas. For a small car they feel big inside. I will probably check out the 88 to satisfy my curiosity. I wonder if it is the same 88 that was listed on craigslist a half year ago for $3000 with a new motor. Perhaps someone thinks he can make a quick $500 profit.

Will let you know what I learn.
                            kned33

91 blue Festiva L (sold)

Comment

Working...
                            X