Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mazda 2 iPod Integration Idea (other cars too?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda 2 iPod Integration Idea (other cars too?)

The new Mazda 2 has an AUX In port for iPods/MP3 players but no USB to charge them with.

Here's a pic of the console with 12v power and AUX In:

My thought was, sure, you can use separate charging cables and audio cables. In theory, sounds fine. In practice, it becomes a tangled mess.

In comes my favorite cheap-crap website! (not trying to spam or paid endorsement..) dealextreme.com has this awesome combo cable for iPods:

It combines the audio and power into one iPod dock connector. ($6.00 + FreeShipping)

Now all we need is a USB port.

Tada!:

USB Charger - ($2.59 + FreeShipping)

Links:
    Cable - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.45829

USB Charger - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40470

Of course, there are many other suitable options, but these are just the ones I chose for an example. There are white cords, smaller chargers, etc...

Hope this helps someone, too bad I can't have my own Mazda 2!
    Last edited by crazyrog17; 10-25-2010, 11:26 AM.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

I think if you can find a cable with a headphone jack that has a nut on the end of it to hold it in you can hold it sorta like the Mazda 2 pic. Eventually in my car I want to hide my radio in the glovebox or under the seat and just use my Zune for music (Yes I said Zune, what of it?) like I did for the MR2 I owned.

EDIT: A cable like this:
    Headphone 1/8 female mounts to custom panel / wall, with 1/8 male at the other end. Cable length 6 inch, 1ft., 2 ft., 3 ft. and 6 feet.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea! So you'd have the whole radio in the glove box and a relocated audio jack?

I like.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
        Sounds like a good idea! So you'd have the whole radio in the glove box and a relocated audio jack?

I like.
        Yeah, cause that would be the only cable I would need, I would just use the volume controls on the zune as well. I would like to also place a panel mounted USB right next to the 3.5mm jack for charging it. Then where the radio use to be put the Mercury Sable cup holders in its place, to make this the first car I've ever owned with cup holders.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
        1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
        2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
        2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Working...
        X