X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death to festiva :(

So today has been a horrible day.

driving on the way home from school, happy as ever in my festiva

finally got all the bugs sorted out of my b6 swap, no oil leaks, no high idle, no hesitation of throttle.. nothing!

then disaster strikes.

driving down the road i see a huge cloud of smoke behind me, stop at the redlight smoke billowing out of the car, park it to the side

HUGEEEEEE puddle of oil on the ground, emptied all the oil right out of it came back with dad+trailer 2 hours later filled it up with oil started it up drove it onto the trailer and it leaked ALLLL the oil back out again.

i dont know what is wrong. it seems like its comming from the oil pan but im not to sure gunna have to check tomo. super depressed it really really sucks.

anybody have any idea what this could be? my oil pressure sender is still attatched and is okay.

hole in the pan? loose oil drain nut?
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

As long as it wasn't running without oil, you'll get it fixed OK once you find the problem. Do not despair.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My be stupid but is the oil filter still on?

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
          My be stupid but is the oil filter still on?
          That could be a good guess... crossthreaded the filter and the cat is right under the filter if I remember right which would explain all the smoke

Comment

Yeah if it wasn't on that tight it will just come off after a few miles of driving. I know some one that did it before.

Comment

if the oil filter is loose im going to shoot myself

drian plug is on tight, its -12 degrees celsius outside so its mighty cold im just hoping not permanent damage is done/ motor gone.

but if this motor is gone its sad cause then ill have to park it for winter ( no where to do motor swap) but then i have a gtx motor i can drop in!

Comment

Does it leak out not running or spew out while running?
                Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Double-gasket the oil filter? Happens when you change the oil filter. The old filter's gasket stays on the engine and when you put the new filter on, it trys to seal against the old gasket. I have had this happen twice! Shame on me! Lol

-Kirk

Comment

Yep sounds like a classic case of double gasket to me. Hard to see up in there on a Festiva too unless you have it up on a lift. Even if you get it on there snug it will eventually push the old gasket out of the way and start leaking (on a Festiva it will leak straight down on the exhaust pipe and cat, likely causing the smoke you saw.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

i gotta check that! it has happened to me but when i did it, the car leaked automaticaly, ive been driving the car for months and it just started randomly.

Comment

I left the old filter gasket on one time. Made it about 50 miles then randomly cruising down the road, all of my oil decides to come spewing out on my exhaust. Scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
                          Double-gasket the oil filter? Happens when you change the oil filter. The old filter's gasket stays on the engine and when you put the new filter on, it trys to seal against the old gasket. I have had this happen twice! Shame on me! Lol

-Kirk
                          Thats the same thing i was thinking.

Comment

Ok gents!!!! im putting it to the test now!!! gunna check!!! thanks for all the input

and yah it was really scary i was like WOAAAAAA WTTTTTTTTTTFFFFF!!!

Comment

thank you so so so so so so so so so so so much

thats exactly what it was

i just cant believe it held for that long... unreal.

Comment

Working...
                              X