Rear strut lower bolt, ya I broke it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS ONE NOT SO EASY!!!!!!

seems like this is rear strut month at my shop..... did another for a friend last night and drivers side just came out with no problems then the passenger side bolt was siezed in the strut and after ripping the rubber and just spinning we had to cut the mount on the head side of the bolt , cut off the head and pull the strut!!

then after what we thought was saving the inside welded nut the threads were destroyed so we just put in a new nut and bolt of a high grade and welded the mount up.

4 hours later .... sleep.

Comment

Instead of setting the impact to always take it out give it a couple jolts in.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
        When it comes to removing stuck and rusted bolts [strut bolts] we use a heat riser penatrant, this product will loosen and dissolve rust. GM has one called A.C. Delco Heat Riser Penatrant and the same for Chrysler,its called Mo Par Parts penatrant. Read the instructions, they want you to shake it really well before use. To use-- spray the penatrant on the bolt or nut, you don't have to drowned it like other sprays, just get it wet a couple times,smack it with a mammer to help loosen the rust and re-apply spray.When you get the bolt out,do as bravekozak suggested,apply some anti seize to the bolt before you reinstall the bolt,heck spray the nut and bolt a couple times the week before you change the stuts,can't hurt. Hope this helps.
        Ford has it, too. Its called Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor. Initially developed specifically for heat riser valves. I can get the part number tonight.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I must be real lucky because on my black and whites festys both rear strut bolts came out with ease
          89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

Glad to hear that newcomb, we've been waiting 8 months for your input.
            ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
            #2 .....Cheesehead
            #3 '91 White - Donor Car
            #4 .....Montana Project
            SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
            Bought her back for $450
            Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

The one I pulled an hour ago came out so fast the strut shot down through
              the mount and the hole thing bounced...with my cordless!!
              Course I could throw the bolt into the new bolt wall and not be able to tell
              it from the new bolts!! Desert and valley cars are nice!!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
              X