New Cat-back exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cat-back exhaust

I had a local shop install a custom Cat-back exhaust on my F250 today. I supplied them a pair of Walker OEM replacement 2-1/4" dual tailpipes with chrome tips and a Cherry Bomb Pro welded chambered muffler (Flowmaster knock-off). The muffler is a single 2-1/2" inlet with dual 2-1/4" outlets. It was like $60 from Summit. The tailpipes were $26 each from Advanced Auto. The shop installed it all for $100, welding all joints and installing all hangers. They did an excellent job and it fits and looks great. Total investment of about $212.

Unfortunately, the sound is not what I was after. It does have a nice, deep mellow rumble, but thanks to the factory cat, it's only slightly louder than the factory exhaust. I had decided to keep the catalytic converter because it acts as the 2-into-1 merge (and is pretty large), but it is obviously acting as a muffler on it's own. Had I realized it has as much effect as it does, I would have saved $200 and just ran a 3" straight pipe right out of the cat with no muffler and done it all myself! All I can do now is make a "test pipe" to replace the converter and see what happens. I hope that will get me the "chambered muffler" roar that I'm after.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Ya that cat will really quiet things down on their own. Probably the age and condition of the cat really matters also. On my F150 (5.0L) I'm planning on no cats just a X pipe and couple cheap mufflers.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Keep it quiet. Loud trucks are obnoxious and so are their drivers.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ i'm the same way with my car lol.

I love loud trucks =D
        -Josh R

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Keep it quiet. Loud trucks are obnoxious and so are their drivers.
          LOL.....Actually, loud pipes save lives! When was the last time you had a Harley Davidson sneak up on you? Most of the time, you can hear them from 5 blocks away.

I don't really want it that loud, just not factory quiet. I want a nice exhaust tone and I want to be able to hear it while I'm driving. I listened to it today as my wife drove off in it. Once she got a half block away, I couldn't hear it. Plus, I know the cat has to be fairly restrictive if a chambered muffler is no louder than the factory muffler.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
          X