Soon to be new owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to be new owner...

Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I am from Winnipeg, Canada. I have a pretty serious commute to work every day and I am going to be picking up a 1988 Festiva tomorrow for the inherent fuel savings.

It has an automatic and 250xxx kms on the car and everything is original (the trans may have been rebuilt a few years ago but I am unsure, so we'll call it original.) It has rust of course, nothing structural, but the usual quarter panels, hood lip etc. I just needed a good fuel efficient vehicle.

The Festiva will be used to get me back and forth to work; I have a second vehicle for pleasure driving.

I gave it a good once over and a test drive, I'm fairly mechanical and everything looked good to me but...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly to watch out for on these cars, preventative maintenance on weak parts etc.

Happy to be on the forum, I did some looking around and there sure are some hot rods!

Looking forward to talking with everyone.

Matt
    How I get around:
    2005 Jeep Rubicon. Ruby! 15 Mpg's of Awesome
    1989 Festiva Fuelly (Winter Rally Car)
    1986 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor
    1965 CCM Board Track Special

Welcome!

Check the rear suspension where it connects to the unibody next to the rear wheel wells as this is a common problem. I would swap the fuel filter as well its on the firewall and fairly easy to spot and swap. Other than that its the usual; wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints etc. You're going to love this little car, now please repeat after me"Hello , my name is Matt, and I'm a festiva addict." It's the first step toward a lifetime obsession. Oh and btw this is one of the best sites you could ever find festiva or otherwise for quality, helpful , and just plain cool folks.
    Jeremy.S
    1988 black lx 5spd cancer victim
    1989 red lx 5spd , cancer free lots o options,
    1983 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, It's a monster!

Comment

welcome to the site! take a moment to fill out your profile or atleast put your location in http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/pr...do=editprofile

Comment

Hello Matt, and welcome to the site. O.K. an easy way to check the rear wheel bearings is to grab the tire at the top, push and pull if you feal a clunk, it's time to jack it up and give it a once over,and if it's tight party on.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome!!
          if I write badly....thanks google translator

Comment

Originally posted by sipderdoc View Post
            Welcome!!
            Hey Spiderdoc, how much is a gallon of gas down your way.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome! There is a few Winnipeg and Manitoba festiva owners kicking around here.

-Scott
              Aqua 93 L
              Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
              White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by vfr86 View Post
                Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I am from Winnipeg, Canada. I have a pretty serious commute to work every day and I am going to be picking up a 1988 Festiva tomorrow for the inherent fuel savings.

It has an automatic and 250xxx kms on the car and everything is original (the trans may have been rebuilt a few years ago but I am unsure, so we'll call it original.) It has rust of course, nothing structural, but the usual quarter panels, hood lip etc. I just needed a good fuel efficient vehicle.

The Festiva will be used to get me back and forth to work; I have a second vehicle for pleasure driving.

I gave it a good once over and a test drive, I'm fairly mechanical and everything looked good to me but...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly to watch out for on these cars, preventative maintenance on weak parts etc.

Happy to be on the forum, I did some looking around and there sure are some hot rods!

Looking forward to talking with everyone.

Matt
                welcome Matt.....just a little heads up....not sure what you are expecting for mileage but being an automatic you are only looking at about 30-35 mpg if running perfect. The manual is a much better fuel saver.....40-45 on the average.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                  Hey Spiderdoc, how much is a gallon of gas down your way.
                  a gallon is at $ 0.12
                  if I write badly....thanks google translator

Comment

Gas

Send me about $50 worth, UPS over night.

Comment

The best I ever got from my B6 swapped automatic was around 37 or 38 mpg highway at under 65 mph. A B3 might do a tad better, especially if you can keep it around 55 mph instead. I'd guess you could see around 40 mpg if you're really slow and smooooooooth. To break 40, you'd have to slow way down. As in under 45 mph!

In comparison, my B3 FI 5 speed got 46 mpg on a trip to Louisville last year because I managed to keep her at an average of 55 mph for the whole trip. However, my engine is not the best, and others do better than that.

All Festivas in good shape can get good mpgs, but some folks do exaggerate, especially on CL and ebay.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Welcome to the board....

What's your "other car"?
                        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
                          Welcome to the board....

What's your "other car"?
                          Shes a beautiful 2005 Jeep Rubicon 6-Speed. (Ive done a few mods to it as well, lift and tires are coming in the spring) It gets 15 MPG all day long. City, highway, snow, sun, nuclear holocaust, pavement, dirt, no matter what, it gets the same mileage. My commute is upwards of 80 kms a day so the fuel was killing me.

Thanks to everyone on here for the replies! The Festiva is currently at a freinds shop getting a Manitoba Safety inspection. Heres hoping it passes with only a few minor things to be fixed. I drove it all last night and this morning and I already love it! It felt like driving a rally car!
                          How I get around:

Comment

UPDATE!
                            Just got a call from the shop. Heres the list of things its going to need to pass for a safety.
                            Outer tie rod (left side)
                            a headlight bulb
                            a quarter sized rust hole that needs to be sealed up
                            wiper blades
                            the muffler needs to have a patch put on it.
                            total for parts and I can provide the labor: $56.35
                            I am PUMPED
                            How I get around:

Comment

not bad at all

Comment

Working...
                              X