Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had luck with "pour in" headgasket repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had luck with "pour in" headgasket repair?

Basically I just want to know if this stuff has worked for anyone before. I would not be using it on a Festiva, but on a 1995 Ford Windstar 3.8L. For those of you who have time, please read the backstory as it explains a little more why I'm considering this.

Ok, the backstory: Just traded my CRX back to the guy I got it from for the van I traded him a year ago. They had blown the HG in it (cooling fans were not plugged in) and they needed a car bad and since I have the Miata and my wife has the Fiero we decided we didn't really need another two seater car lol. The van is a '95 Ford Windstar 3.8L with about 150K (newly rebuilt trans was put in about two years/20k miles ago by the original owner). Its been fairly well kept and is still pretty clean, so I've considered hanging onto it since we are wanting to start a family soon. On the other hand, I have enough other cars that I don't really need this thing, and might just scrap it.

I don't really feel like doing the HGs right now, and I don't want to hold onto it forever waiting till I do feel like tearing into the motor, so I was thinking maybe just buy a can of that pour in stuff and if it fixes it, great I'll keep it, if not then either pull the trans and scrap the rest or sell it as-is and let potential buyers know it will likely need a new engine. It has coolant in the exhaust, but I haven't seen any in the oil (just checked the stick, its still at their house so I haven't drained it yet). It still runs and drives, but 10 mins down the road and its slap out of coolant. So if it was your van would you try to scrap it, or pour some in? I may eventually break down and buy the HG kit if the van sits around long enough, but only if I find some nice enclosed warm place to work on it

P.S. If I do try the stuff and it works I will be keeping it for myself, so if its likely to cause problems down the road I can repair them.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Worst case scenario, you are out the cost of the pour-in stuff. Don't know how effective it is, but it's a cheap and easy experiment, so I say go for it.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Not an expert, just an opinion.

If their isn't coolant in the oil, I know you have to check, it is a good sign and I'd try the "pour in head gasket".
      I suspect they work better on this kind of failure, as opposed to a "coolant in the oil" kind.
      In any case, you only have the cost of the "pour in gasket" to lose.

Just a thought, how difficult is it to pull the transmission vs doing the head gaskets?

No one you know has a garage you could borrow for a day or two?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've never had any luck with any of the "pour in" fixers... Most recently was a power steering leak on the Jeep; but got nothing.

As Tom said.... Nothing to lose.
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Just a thought, how difficult is it to pull the transmission vs doing the head gaskets?

No one you know has a garage you could borrow for a day or two?
          #1 : actually a lot easier because if I was pulling the trans to scrap the rest I'd just drain everything, cut all the wires, pipes, hoses and exhaust, unbolt the struts and subframe and slide it out from underneath. No worries about things going back together, just rip and tear till I get what I want. I would be saving the trans as a spare since I'm sure we will own another Taurus wagon someday, but I wouldn't really need any of the other van parts intact. If I did the HGs I would have to do everything "right" :lol: so it would all go back together when I'm done

#2 : I know plenty of people with garages, but all the guys with the fully enclosed ones use them to park their "fancy" cars in. They probably wouldn't even let a Windstar even look at their garage, much less be torn apart in it I could use the one at Dad's house that is at least paved (mine is gravel) but even then I'd be out in the open and its COLD outside... got almost down into the 30s this morning :shock:

:lol: Sorry up north people
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Try this stuff called blue devil head gasket repair its about 60 dollars for it but that stuff works everytime.

Comment

I'll look into it, thanks!
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That engine from that era is notorious for blown head gaskets. It's a defect in the original stock factory gaskets. We've had two 3.8's that had blown head gaskets. The leaks were always from the compression to water jacket, never from water jacket to oil pan. The first time was one side that leaked enough for a water refill about once a month. I put some of that sealer in and it lasted almost a year until the other head started leaking as bad as yours. The sealer did not work on the other head. The head gasket on the other engine blew bad enough that I didn't even bother to try to seal it. The compression was leaking into the cooling system so bad that if you filled the radiator and left the cap off, water would shoot out the top of the radiator and hit the underside of the raised hood just by turning the engine over with the starter.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Wow! Well, this one isn't that bad yet, and yes I knew about the 3.8's tendency to blow gaskets . I was a Taurus guy before I ever got my first festy, and I avoided the 3.8s like the plauge. I've had I five stock Taurus's, all 3.0s. Thats why I'd be saving the trans if I scrapped it, I can pick up 3.0 Taurus's with bad trannies all day long on Craiglist for $250 ... I think I'm gonna hit it with so pour in crap though, and if that doesn't work, its off to the crusher! (minus the trans of course )
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Google your van/engine. Failure of coolant sensor leading to the cooling fans to quit working, finally blown head gaskets. Try the stuff and if it does not work, scrap the van.
                    I never had any success with those "miracle" stuff.

If it was me, I would do the head gaskets and bypass the coolant sensor.

Comment

K&W Block Seal is what I've used in the past. Make sure to follow directions to a "T". If any antifreeze is in the system when you dump it in, it won't work.

I'd give the sealer a try. If it don't work, then scrap it.

Just my 2¢.

Comment

I too have used the K&W block seal with success. I used it on a 3 cylinder Justy that went about another 50K miles before being junk and the head gasket was still good when it got junked. You will need to flush and cleanse the system. I ran tons of water through it first and then the cleanser. Let it air dry for a week and then applied the stuff as directed - I think the previous guy is correct - DO NOT shortcut the directions. Good Luck! By the way, I know the dealers use this stuff pretty frequently on the Northstar engines with antifreeze leakage problems. They were using "Sani-Flush" as an intermediate cleanser before the final cleanse. (I didn't use the sani-flush because I wasn't sure how much to put in and what it might do to the water pump and other parts)

Comment

That's a vulcan engine, if i'm not mistaken? If so, they're also notorious for timing cover leaks (see under head near water pump). I guess, first off figure out what kind of head gasket leak. Like pu241 mentioned, if your oil is clean, then good. Now check for combustion gasses leaking into the coolant system. With the radiator cap off and thermostat open, you'll see regular bubbles.

If you see no bubbles and your oil is clean, then definitely try it. If you see bubbles, then try it. Just be sure to flush vigorously later if you want to keep your heater core! Also keep in mind the coolant overflow is as likely to clog.

Anyway, good luck. Hope it's just the timing cover. It was a small leak on my mother's 3.0. Looked just like a head gasket. Added a can of sealer-- it went away.
                          Last edited by purg3d; 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

RESURRECTION!!
                            Owner of:
                            1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                            In progress:
                            BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by schads View Post
                              Try this stuff called blue devil head gasket repair its about 60 dollars for it but that stuff works everytime.
                              I second the blue devil used it in out Malibu and it sealed it up.
                              1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Working...
                              X