Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird smell

My ford fesitva is kept very clean no trash food etc left in it
    But if i keep it closed up for like 2 days or more when you first get in you gotta put the window down and let it air out because it has a weird smell to it

I was recently looking at another festiva and when he opened it up and i got in it had the same odd smell to it

Do all festivas have a weird smell ?
    I was thinking maybe its the glue or something they used in the seats or something?

If this is common is there anyway to get rid of the smell ?

I have noticed a rank smell in mine too as of late. I would suggest that you try to isolate the odor.
    - While driving, open the window and confirm it doesn't stink outside! (don't laugh, I drive by a steel factory on my way to school, and it ALWAYS stinks there)
    -turm down the temp on your HVAC controls all the way to cold. (this could be a heater core issue)

I am wondering if mine has a leaky heater core, or coolant line somewhere.. Did your smell start as the colder weather has hit, and since you have been using the heat? Is the smell a sweet smell?

Comment

mine has done this twice now
      both times it has been a weld broke loose on the exhaust right under the seating area

Comment

check you carpet/seats for wet spots. If it rains and somethin gets wet it could cause an odor.
        Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

no mine has been like it all summer and even now thats it gets cold but i was thinking last night and shagfestiva read my mind i notice it real bad after it rains and then when its dry for a day or two it get better and better im gonna have ot look and see if something is leaking or whats going on
          But its not a sweet antifreeze smell i know hwat that smells like this odor is like strait up butt.
          Last edited by Pu241; 11-21-2010, 10:43 AM. Reason: language

Comment

Yep, could be a hole or crack in your floorpan, letting in moisture which seeps through the carpet and padding and creates mildew.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

something

Check all your ductwork to make sure nothing crawled in and died.

Take off your door threshholds and lift the carpet in the floorpans. See if it's wet. If it is, take out the front seats and the lower carpet to dry. Put just the seats back in and check for leaks. Good luck.

Comment

yeah theres a little hold in the floor pan on the passengers side looks like im gonna need to weld something over the hole to keep the moisture out thanks guys !

Comment

Well if you got a hole, and it's not mildew smell, it may well be something dead.
                  I had left my car in the drive with the windows open in the summer one day, got in it to go to the store, and next thing I know there's a tree toad stuck on the window looking at me as I'm driving. I guess that's better than a skunk.
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                  X