Festivas and snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festivas and snow

How do these cars do in snow? I'll be running almost new radials...no snow tires. Anything i should worry about or do that might help? Most FWD cars do ok in the average snow we get around here. If it gets really bad i can drive my Cherokee. I figure it can't be much worse than my Merkur was.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Mine did great in the snow with basic radials, the ice was not fun.
    This year I grabbed a set of 13" studs.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

FWD normally works well because there is plenty of weight on the drive wheels. Uphill from a standing start, not so much, because the weight is then on the rear wheels.

I would recommend adding some weight in the trunk, to minimize the chance of the rear end sliding out. And either good all-season tires or actual snow tires, depending on where you live/how much snow you expect to get. The more "open" the tread pattern (like snow tires), the more the snow in the treads can stick to the snow on the ground.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you have good tread on all-season tires, you should do fine for most winter driving. (I live in Columbus, FYI.)

If you can afford a set, Nokian "severe weather all season" tires are rated for snow and can be driven year round. Smallest you'd get would probably be 175/70-13s. I have them on my automatic and they were exceptional.

If your tires are bald or for summer only, you may not like the snow driving at all.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I would highly recommend some kind of snow tire. I ran Hankook Winter I-Pike on our old Astra and I'm running Continental 155-70-13 Contact Viking 3’s on Mazda alloys on the Festiva.

The Festiva did really well in the snow with all season tires. The difference with winter tires is very noticeable. The car is much more "sure-footed" both in the snow and on ice. When the Conti's wear out I'll be looking at the Winter I-Pikes as long as I can get them small enough.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Firestone winterforce 175/70-13 going on the '92 here real soon, and I'm gonna try to fit 195/60-15 on the b6t.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Mine is so AWESOME in the snow! I have studded tires (12") that I found online for $120 on aluminum Festiva rims including a set of chains! Yesterday I was up at Manning Park Ski Resort, and was driving through snow that was about a foot deep (deeper than the car could clear) and had no troubles at all! I love my Festiva!

Comment

Mine always did really well, until I lowered it with FMS springs. Now it drags the bottom when the snow gets deep and gets high centered.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

You Canada guys probably see more snow in one season than i do in 10 LOL. Snow around here is really hit or miss...some years we'll get pounded once or twice, other times it's just a dusting every few days. I've never felt the need to buy snow tires in the past, but my Merkur came with a set on another set of rims and they were about 50% but they made such a huge difference i was very impressed. Right now it's probably not in the funds so we'll see how the regular radials do. They're pretty meaty as far as tread goes.

Comment

If they're all seasons you'll do fine, barring an exceptionally bad snowstorm like we had a few years back. The day after that one my '93GL automatic with the Nokian Ws got me out of the city and on my way to Milwaukee for the trip I had planned the day before. About 50 miles out of Columbus, 70W cleared up and it was sweet sailing after that.

I had shovelled a "runway" from my backyard "driveway" and for about twenty feet in the alley. I did get stuck at the alley turn which took about ten minutes with the shovel and I didn't get stuck again. That was a BIG snow! The night before Saturday, March 8th it dumped many inches and I think it kept snowing most of the day Saturday. I left Sunday morning instead.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Eh, with mine being lowered so much if it gets that bad i'll just drive the Jeep. I think it'll do ok though. I have about 100lbs of tools in the trunk with me at all times so that should help.

Comment

With studded 155 80 13 winterforce tires I was pushing snow with the front bumper and packed the turn signals with snow.

This is with an Aspire spring/strut swap front and rear.

With the regular all season radials I didn't have any problems either. Was just playing around on the backroads with the studded tires.

Comment

I drove in bumper deep snow with regular 12 radials. That was in the blizzard of the century. I drove from Athens GA up into the mountains of VA. No problems. Festivas are beast in the snow.
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Evil D ----- "You Canada guys probably see more snow in one season than i do in 10 LOL"

NOPE! (and thats Canadian guys, you America guy, :p)

In Cincinnati an average season will see just above 20 inches (51 cm) of snowfall.

In Vancouver average yearly snowfall is 48.2 centimetres (19.0 in) but typically does not remain on the ground for long.

Source ----- Wiki!

Comment

I thought my festiva did really well with all seasons. The only problem I had was starting out on a hill. I drove one day in my festiva than drove my moms car on the same road trying to go same speed and lost it. I honestly think the low hp of the festiva hellps to.

Comment

Working...
                              X